Postgraduate Coursework and Research Options

UNE offers a wide range of courses that you may choose to follow up with after the completion of your bachelor degree, in either a related subject area or one that is altogether new to you.

Postgraduate study generally involves either coursework or research. Choosing to undertake further studies will involve a greater level of work but it will be well worth the effort because bigger and better opportunities will be open to you once you graduate.

Postgraduate Coursework

You can do additional coursework on top of your first degrees to learn more about your favourite subject or develop new interest or career paths. Programs vary in length from:

  • certificate courses (about one year part-time),
  • to postgraduate diplomas (at least one year full time, two years part-time), and
  • coursework masters (anywhere between one year full-time to approximately three years part-time).

Postgraduate degrees by coursework do not have a research component and are not considered to be research degrees. You can choose from a wide range of postgraduate coursework degrees, almost all degrees offered at UNE are available to study online or on campus.

Search or browse our study areas to find a postgraduate coursework degrees.

Fee information for Postgraduate Coursework Students

Most postgraduate coursework degrees at UNE have both Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) and Full Fee paying places available, though CSP places are subject to availability each year. Full Fee paying places cover the full cost of courses, and students studying in Full Fee places are eligible for a Government loan called FEE-HELP. Full fee paying fees will vary for each course, but are the same, no matter whether courses are studied on campus or by distance education.

About full fee paying places and FEE-HELP

Postgraduate Research Courses

Postgraduate programs through research include:

  • Honours programs to extend your bachelor degree
  • Research masters for a deeper level of study
  • PhD for a significant body of research work in a particular field

The University of New England recognises the significant contribution that Higher Degree Research students and their supervisors make in ensuring and maintaining a vibrant academic, research-led community and aims to achieve a high standard of excellence in learning, research and supervision.

You'll need to review the requirements of the course you'd like to go on to study, but the general rule is you need to maintain a distinction average throughout your bachelor degree program to qualify for higher degree research programs.

  • If you get First Class Honours you can usually go straight to a PhD without needing to do a Masters program first.
  • If you are doing a Masters by Coursework and want to go on to do a PhD, make sure there is a research component to your Masters program.

If you are interested in higher degree research at UNE, please visit Research.

Fee information for Postgraduate Research Students

Students applying to study a research degree may also be eligible to apply for Research Training Scheme (RTS) places. The Research Training Scheme provides an exemption from course fees (Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) for eligible students who commenced a research higher degree after 31 August 2000. Students who gain such an exemption are said to have an "RTS place".