Study Related Costs

Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF)

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is charged to students for services and amenities of a non-academic nature, such as sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, counselling and support services, free library postage, orientation programs and food services.

The University charges SSAF based on the number of credit points you are enrolled in each study period and what course or program you're enrolled in. Check the 2020 SSAF rates for details. The maximum amount that any student may be charged for SSAF in 2020 is $308. You may be eligible for an SA-Help loan to defer the cost of SSAF.

Other Study Costs

Besides course fees, you'll need to consider the costs of textbooks and course materials. Further costs depend on whether you are studying on campus or online and whether you live on-campus or off-campus.

Textbooks & Course Materials

The costs of your textbooks and course materials will vary depending on your subjects. A list of requirements for courses will be posted in the Course and Unit Catalogue 2–3 months before the start of each trimester. You may be able to borrow some texts through Dixson Library, so check with your lecturers and Dixson Library before purchasing. Free return postage is available to all online students living in Australia for books and physical items from Dixson Library.

Depending on the course, you may also need personal protection equipment (i.e. safety glasses or lab coats), uniforms for clinical placements (i.e. nursing) or other specific requirements.

Intensive Schools and Practical Placements

Some units have intensive schools that enable students to engage in practical exercises, tutorials and lectures during intensive periods on campus in Armidale. These are a requirement for some units that have an important practical component, often in health or the sciences.

Some degrees have compulsory placements or practical experience requirements, sometimes at specific times throughout the year.

You will need to ensure you can cover the travel and accommodation costs that might be required, especially if you need to take leave from your employment.

For details of the course requirements, refer to the Course and Unit Catalogue

The Guide to UNE has information on travelling to Armidale (main campus location) and on-campus accommodation.

IT Equipment

Whether you are studying on-campus or online, UNE requires you to have access to an internet enabled computer for the duration of your studies. There are recommendations for other computer equipment (headphones, webcam etc) and software that you may need to purchase or have access to.