Right to Information (GIPA)

Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW)

On 1 July 2010 the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW) was replaced by the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW) (GIPA Act).

If you wish to discuss your access to information under the GIPA Act, please contact the Right to Information Officers below.

Dr Carmel O'Brien
Phone: +61 2 6773 3096

Email: legal@une.edu.au

Nicole Killen
Phone: +61 2 6773 4071

Email: legal@une.edu.au

There are three ways for the public to access UNE's information under the GIPA Act:

1. Open Access Information

Open Access Information is information that is available on UNE's website or is accessible on request free of charge. The main types of Open Access Information are outlined below. Follow the links for more detail.

Open Access Information Links

2. Informal Access Request

UNE may release its information in response to an informal request (that is, a request that is not an Access Application) from a member of the public but it is not required to do so.

Under an Informal Access Request UNE may release the information:

  • subject to reasonable conditions;
  • by whatever means it decides suitable;
  • with information deleted that it considers there to be an overriding public interest against disclosure.

An Informal Access Request is free of charge.

3. Formal Access Application

Under a Formal Access Application UNE is legally required to provide access to the information unless there is an overriding public interest against disclosure.

The determination UNE makes under a Formal Access Application is reviewable by the NSW Information Commissioner and the NSW Administrative Decisions Tribunal.

To make an informal or formal Access Application for UNE information under the GIPA Act, please print and complete the GIPA Access Application Form and send it to a Right to Information Officer, with the Application Fee.