Legal Office

Legal and Governance helps the University to make informed decisions and manage risk.

The Legal Office service delivery has moved to the ServiceNow Platform.

Needing legal advice?

All requests for legal advice must be submitted via the Legal Request Form.

The Legal Request Form can also be found by selecting Legal Advice from the list of categories in the Service Catalog within ServiceNow

Wanting a contract reviewed?

Contracts can be submitted for review via the Contracts Management System (CMS) Open Windows.

A staged rollout of Open Windows is currently in place across the University.  For enquiries regarding the rollout of the CMS please email

Legal Office Advice and Services

The Legal Office provides legal advice and services to the senior executive, academic and administrative staff on:

  • negotiating, drafting and reviewing agreements, MOUs and deeds and processing them for signature by the appropriate UNE delegate;
  • intellectual property;
  • interpreting and applying University policies, procedures and guidelines;
  • interpreting and applying legislation including the University of New England Act 1993 (NSW) and By-law 2005;
  • instructing external lawyers and mediators;
  • dispute resolution;
  • litigation;
  • subpoenas.

The Legal Office does not provide legal advice to staff on personal matters or to students.

All agreements, MOUs and deeds (including variations to these documents) must be sent to the Contracts Officer for processing before signature so that Legal Office can, amongst other responsibilities:

  • Check that the terms and conditions of the agreement are acceptable to UNE
  • Ensure that the appropriate UNE delegate signs the agreement
  • Ensure that the signed agreement is placed on UNE's Contracts Register

The Legal Office reports to the Chief Operating Officer.

Legal Office Forms

Any agreement, MOU or deed that is in final form and ready to be signed by the UNE delegate must be sent to the Contracts Officer along with a Request for Legal Approval form (RLA).

The RLA is an instruction to the Legal Office that an agreement, MOU or deed has School and Faculty or Directorate approval and is ready to be signed by UNE. It is a risk management procedure to make sure UNE does not sign unapproved, draft or incorrect agreements, MOUs or deeds.

There are two RLAs. One for contractor agreements for goods and services, the other for research, UNE consultancy and other agreements (that are not contractor agreements for goods and services).

The RLA must be completed by the person with operational responsibility for the agreement and signed by that person and the Head of School, Director or equivalent. It contains a series of questions that must be answered and, where it requests attachments, those attachments must be with the RLA or the RLA will be returned to the officer for completion.

Please contact the Contracts Officer if you have any questions about the RLA or process of having agreements, MOUs or deeds signed by UNE.

Request for Legal Approval (Contracts for Goods, Services, Lease or Property Transfer)

Request for Legal Approval (Research and other Contracts)

Our Staff


Ms Katrina Warden

Lawyer, BA, LLB, GDLP (USyd)

Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW and NT

Telephone - 02 6773 3970
Email -

Contracts and Right to Information Officer

Dr Carmel O'Brien

BA (Hons) PhD (UNE) DSM

Telephone - 02 6773 3096
Email -

Paralegal Officer

Nicole Killen

AssocDegLaw (Paralegal) (SCU)

Telephone - 02 6773 4071
Email -

Paralegal Officer

Libby Magann

BAppSci (Consumer Science)
GCert ProfLegalStudies
Accredited Research Manager (Foundation Level)

Telephone - 02 6773 3875
Email -

Legal Office

Contact Details


First Floor, Booloominbah Building

Postal Address

Legal Office
University of New England

Processing Agreements

Below is a summary only of the process for both Contractor Agreements and Research and Other Agreements.  If you require any clarification regarding the agreement approval process, please contact the Legal Office via email  or by telephone on 6773 3096 or 6773 4071.

Flow Chart for Independent Contractor Agreements

Flow Chart for Research and other Agreements