International Partners

UNE has developed a number of relationships (many of them long standing) with overseas partners that are formalised into the following types of agreements:

Advanced Standing Agreements

Advanced Standing Agreements involve the recognition by UNE of an overseas institution's courses for credit or advanced standing towards a UNE degree. Advanced Standing arrangements are based on 'curriculum matching' (including course level, assessment and content) and may or may not involve UNE academic and promotional visits. UNE monitors the performance of students articulating to UNE degrees and provides regular feedback to the partner institution.

UNE currently has agreements with the following institutions:


  • Beijing Jaiotong University (BJU)
  • Harbin Engineering University
  • Henan Agricultural University
  • Huaiyin Institute of Technology
  • Qingdao Technological University Qindao College
  • Shandong Institute of Business and Technology (SDIBT)
  • Wuxi South Ocean College
  • X'ian International University

Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs)

MoUs are 'in-principle' agreements to co-operate with an overseas institution. UNE only signs MoUs with institutions where co-operation is strategic to both institutions. Co-operation may be for academic exchange, joint research and resource sharing.

Scholarship Agreements

Scholarship Agreements are signed between UNE and the Australian Government and a range of overseas funding bodies. These enable overseas students with scholarships to study at UNE.

Exchange and Study Abroad Agreements

Exchange Agreements with overseas institutions allow both UNE students and overseas students to study part of their degree overseas or at UNE for up to a year. Tuition fees are waived between exchange partners. Incoming and outgoing exchange student numbers are kept in balance in all exchange relationships.

Study Abroad Agreements provide the same study opportunities as Exchange, however tuition fees apply. Study Abroad Agreements are generally signed instead of Exchange Agreements when there will not be a balance between incoming and outgoing students.