Agricultural Consulting and Farm Management


Agricultural Consulting and Farm Management can be studied at UNE through a specific unit CSLT 402/502 Client Service Skills for Agricultural Consultants. This unit is for people who work, or plan to work, in farm management, agricultural consulting/extension /advisory roles or other jobs that require professional farm management knowledge. It is applicable to all agricultural sectors. This distance education unit suits professionals already working and is a core unit for the Graduate Certificate in Agriculture (Agricultural Consulting) but can be studied within other courses along with a number of other external units.

What prior qualifications and experience are needed?

None are required to study the core unit, however, your qualifications and experience will determine the course in which you can be admitted. (Units/subjects can only be studied as part of a course).

In what courses can you study the core unit?

If you already have a degree, you can study the unit in:

  • Graduate Certificate in Agriculture (Agricultural Consulting)
  • Masters in Agriculture
  • Other graduate level courses that allow you to choose this unit as an elective

If you do NOT have a degree, you can study the unit in:

  • Diploma in Agriculture (no entry requirements)
  • Bachelor of Rural Science, Bachelor of Agriculture, Bachelor of Livestock Science or similar degree course (all are subject to minimum entry requirements)

If you do NOT have a degree, BUT have a Diploma in Agriculture (or similar) PLUS extensive experience in agriculture:

  • You may be accepted directly into the Graduate Certificate in Agriculture (Agricultural Consulting), OR
  • You may be permitted to upgrade to the graduate course after one semester in the Diploma of Agriculture course.

Both of these options will require you to complete this form. Please discuss these options in advance with the Unit Coordinator, Dr Romana Roschinsky.

What are the costs?

Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) dramatically reduce the cost for the unit (by more than half).

All undergraduate students will be eligible for Commonwealth Supported Places.

Post-graduate courses have limited CSPs available. CSPs are offered from trimester 1 each year and are likely to run out before trimester 2 and possibly before applications close for trimester 1.

Therefore, whether you want to start studying a post-graduate course in trimester 1 OR trimester 2, apply well before trimester 1 applications close if you want a Commonwealth Supported Place (apply as early in January as you can). You do not need to start your course straight away.

Please see UNE fee information for correct latest fee details.

Students who are not Australian citizens should also consult the UNE website for fee details.

HECS-HELP loans are also available.

What does the core unit include?

While the unit was initially developed for agricultural consultants (and named accordingly), it is just as applicable for professional farm managers.

CSLT 402/502 Client service skills for agricultural consultants
This unit provides two discrete modules for agricultural consultants to assist their clients' businesses or for farm managers to run their own business. The first module covers Whole of Enterprise Planning, allowing the business to be viewed in an integrated manner including farm resources, production and finances.
The second module improves the skill of the consultant in dealing with their clients or farm managers dealing with staff and contractors, covering the essential tools of communication, facilitation and negotiation. Managers of corporate farms, those who take on industry leadership roles (e.g. in various committees) and those whose expertise sees them as invited speakers at events and field days, will find these skills particularly useful.

What does the course involve?

For the Graduate Certificate in Agriculture (Agricultural Consulting), please see the information below. For all other courses, please click here to see UNE web site, courses and units section. After choosing a course use the tabs to view the course overview, further information and course rules and plans.

Graduate Certificate in Agriculture (Agricultural Consulting)

This is a four-unit course; along with the core unit, three electives must also be taken. A wide range of units in technical, agri-business or other agricultural areas are available at UNE, enabling you to upgrade your knowledge and skills in areas most relevant to you. Please browse the units available in these areas on the UNE Course and Unit Catalogue.

The course can be completed in a minimum of 1 year (as the core units are only offered in separate trimesters) or in a maximum of 2 years, by part-time study. (Should you need to extend past 2 years, it is imperative you seek approval in advance through the UNE student centre).

The elective units can be completed through UNE. With permission of the Course Coordinator, one of the electives may be done through another university. In special cases the Course Coordinator may also recognise advanced standing, that is previous experience or a previously completed subject may count for one elective.

Some professionals may only want to do the core unit and no further subjects. You still need to be admitted to a course, but you would simply withdraw after completing the desired unit. An academic transcript is provided on completion, but no formal qualification is awarded.

Assessment for most units is carried out by a combination of assignments and a final supervised examination (held in locations near you).

The core unit does NOT have a residential school. Most electives will have a residential school and some of these will be mandatory (view each unit on the UNE web site to find this information).

Who developed the core unit?

The Sheep CRC, through UNE, developed the core unit. While the Sheep CRC saw a need for specialist training for consultants in the sheep industry, the training did not need to be about sheep, instead this training is applicable to all agricultural sectors. It assumes that you gain your technical knowledge
about one or more agricultural sectors from other study (such as a degree) and/or experience.

Consultants with specialist knowledge of the topic were contracted to develop the content of each module within the unit.

Enrolment details and further information

Important dates

View application closing dates

View principal dates

Other information:
Student Centre telephone: 1800 818 865 or +61 2 6773 2000.
AskUNE (online help)

What is the admissions and enrolment process?

You need to apply for and be admitted to a course. Once you have accepted, then you can enrol in a unit (subject).

Course admissions closing dates can be found here. Please note that CSPs may no longer be available if you leave your admission application until the closing date. Late admissions may be accepted.

You must apply online.

More information