HDR Progress Reports

Faculty of Medicine and Health Graduate Research School LogoUNE conducts HDR progress reporting twice a year at the start of May and October. All enrolled HDR candidates are required to complete a progress report twice per year, including those who have yet to undertake Confirmation of Candidature and those on leave any leave of absence. The requirement to undertake progress reporting is in the PhD Rules (3.3).

HDR Progress Reporting is a formal tool for the University to:

  1. Monitor and evaluate each candidates academic progress is proceeding according to plan;
  2. To identify any possible progress impediments; and
  3. Undertake goal setting so as to ensure a timely completion.

UNE uses an online system to undertake HDR Progress Reporting where all candidates receive an email which contains a link to the reporting form. HDR candidates are asked to complete a report first, then it is progressed to the Principal Supervisor. Where the Principal Supervisor is external to UNE, the supervisor’s report will be forwarded to the UNE supervisor. Once the supervisor submits their report, the HDR candidate will receive a copy before the report is forwarded to the Head of School for approval.

HDR candidates and supervisors are encouraged to review their supervisor agreement as part of their discussions about progress reporting to ensure their documentation is up to date.

Research end-user engagement

In 2018, new questions relating to research end-user engagement were added to the HDR Progress report. These questions were added to capture data relating for new Government reporting requirements. View the definitions for these questions.

Dates and deadlines

View the dates and deadlines for each reporting round for the HDR Candidate, Supervisor and Head of School.

Please note: Once the HDR reporting for each round has closed, Research Services is unable to re-open the reporting tool. The reports need to be closed so they can be escalated to the next level.

Helpful Information

Confidential feedback

UNE acknowledges that from time to time HDR candidates may experience issues that are affecting their progress but which they do not wish to include in their progress report. If you are unable to discuss these with your supervisors, you should contact the HDR Coordinator in your School.

HDR candidates - frequently asked questions

Do I have to submit a progress report?
Yes, all enrolled HDR candidates need to submit a progress report twice per year, this includes those who have yet to undertake confirmation of candidature, and those on a leave of absence from the University.

If I have not done Confirmation of Candidature do I need to submit a progress report?
Yes. As of July 2015 the Graduate Research Subcommittee is asking all enrolled HDR Candidates must provide two progress reports per year.

What if there is incorrect information in my progress report i.e. submission date, thesis title, supervisors?
Contact HDR Progress Reporting and it can be corrected.

If I am on a leave of absence do I need to provide a progress report?
Yes. You are still an enrolled student of UNE and therefore need to provide a progress report. If you are not using your UNE email address, you should arrange for your supervisor to complete their report, saying you are on leave. Alternatively you can forward your UNE email account to an account you are using while on leave.

What happens if I fail to submit a report, or my progress is regarded as unsatisfactory?
If an HDR candidate fails to submit a report or, when they do submit a report, their progress is deemed unsatisfactory, the issue will be dealt with under the Unsatisfactory Progress Report Procedures.

Research supervisors - frequently asked questions

My HDR student is on leave, do I need to complete a progress report for them?
Yes. Even when on leave, HDR candidates are still enrolled students and we need to know what progress they are making. In the case of a student on leave, you should merely note that they are on leave.

My HDR candidate has not yet undertaken confirmation of candidature, do I need to complete a progress report?
Yes. As of July 2015 the Graduate Research Subcommittee is asking all enrolled students to complete a progress report.

I am the co-supervisor of an HDR candidate and the Principal Supervisor is external to UNE, why have I received a request to submit a progress report?
The online system cannot send emails to external email addresses, the report has been sent to you as the UNE supervisor.

What if I do not receive a report for an HDR candidate I am supervising?
If you are not the principal supervisor you will not receive the report. If you are the principal supervisor, and you do not receive report for a candidate contact hdrprogress@une.edu.au to make sure you are registered as a principal supervisor.

What if I receive a report for an HDR candidate I am not supervising?
Contact HDR Progress Reporting. Research Services has sent you the report because you are recorded as the principal supervisor and, if you are not, it needs to be corrected.

What happens if an HDR Candidate fails to submit a progress report, or submits an unsatisfactory progress report?
HDR Progress Reports that are deemed unsatisfactory are dealt with using the Unsatisfactory HDR Progress Report Procedures.


Research Services HDR support