Study Theatre & Performance

We offer unique courses in both practical and theoretical aspects of theatre. Our program of study suits theatre practitioners and teachers, and anyone working towards gaining industry knowledge and professional skills — including confidence and experience in public speaking, oral communication and presentation.

Undergraduate and postgraduate study

Study on campus in Armidale or off campus.

Undergraduate courses

Majors: Theatre and Performance can be studied as a major in the following courses.

Electives: You can also study Theatre and Performance as an elective in almost any bachelor course offered at UNE; check the course rules from the link below to see how many electives you are permitted to include. Any student accepted into UNE is welcome to enrol in the introductory
units (THEA110 and THEA111) and then progress to more advanced units after satisfactorily completing them.

Bachelor degrees

Bachelor of Arts

Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws

Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science

Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Business

Bachelor of Education (Secondary Arts)

For Bachelor Honours see under postgraduate courses.

Undergraduate Diplomas

Study Theatre and Performance in the:

Advanced Diploma in Arts

Honours and postgraduate courses

Theatre and Performance can also be studied at postgraduate level in coursework or research programs.

Bachelor Honours

Bachelor of Arts with Honours

Find out more about Honours

Postgraduate coursework

Graduate Certificate in Arts

Master of Applied Theatre Studies

Master of Arts

Postgraduate research

Higher degree research may be undertaken either by traditional thesis or in creative practice.

Master of Philosophy

Doctor of Philosophy

Find out more about Higher Degree Research


See the list of Theatre and Performance units in the Course and Unit Catalogue.

EDAE317/EDAE417 Drama Skills for Secondary Teachers

*Please read About THEA302 first. A satisfactory proposal must be completed and approved before permission to enrol in the unit is complete.

Thinking about studying ARTS301 or ARTS302?

If you are interested in enrolling in the independent study units ARTS301 Research and Professional Practice or ARTS302 Research and Professional Practice II, please read about enrolling in ARTS301 or ARTS302 first. You will need to fill in a Project Proposal Form and have your project approved before enrolling.

If you are enrolled in a postgraduate award, you might like to consider enrolling in ARTS501 or ARTS502, which are also project- and/or research-oriented units.

ARTS301 Research and Professional Practice

ARTS302 Research and Professional Practice II

ARTS501 Arts Research and Professional Practice

ARTS502 Dissertation Unit

Our staff

To contact an academic or find a research supervisor, visit our staff page.

Find a staff member


The UNE Theatre and Performance program has been developed by innovative and knowledgeable teachers who combine scholarship with practical and professional experience.

Fully equipped theatre: We have a fully-equipped theatre with a fly tower, two workshop studios, a wardrobe and props room, a carpentry workshop and a script library.

Australian play scripts and video materials: UNE is also home to the Campbell Howard collection of Australian play scripts. We have an extensive script library, which includes out-of-print and and rare items. We also have the Stage on Screen collection of video materials on Australian theatre.

Career options

Many of our Theatre & Performance graduates have gone on to work as drama teachers in secondary schools.

Other graduates have progressed to specialised actor training institutions and work in the profession.

Others are employed in a range of occupations where exceptional oral communication and public presentation skills are required.

Further information

For more information about our courses and studying at UNE, please contact AskUNE.