Enrolling in ARTS501 or ARTS502

ARTS501 and ARTS502 offer students enrolled in postgraduate coursework degrees an opportunity to pursue in-depth independent study at an advanced level under supervision on an agreed topic not covered in other units. Past projects carried out by students enrolled in these units include work on literature (i.e. Media, Communication Studies, English, Theatre Studies, and Writing), Language (i.e. French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Chinese and Japanese), and Music.

Both units offer the opportunity for students interested in proceeding to higher degrees in research, such as the MPhil and PhD, to acquire, and test, skills in independent study and research on focused topics.

There are no set classes or teaching material provided for this unit. Prior to enrolment being approved by the School, students will be required to negotiate a topic or project with a nominated supervisor and submit a satisfactory formal proposal, in accordance with School guidelines. The form of assessment tasks will be determined in consultation with project supervisors and will be equivalent to 6000 words in length for ARTS501 projects, and 12000 words in length for ARTS502 projects.


Students must consult with a member of the academic staff about supervision of their project before applying for permission to enrol.  Please complete the Project Proposal Form, in consultation with your supervisor.  The proposal should describe a project requiring 150 hours of work hours (for ARTS501) or 300 hours (for ARTS502).  The proposal should make clear the nature of the question to be investigated, and how the project will illuminate some aspects of the research question.

If you are unsure as to the most appropriate supervisor for your proposal, please consult the listing of Academic Staff .

Submission of Proposal closing dates

A duly completed Project Proposal Form must be received by the School at the email address provided on the form two weeks before commencement of lectures in each trimester.  Permission depends on the quality and feasibility of the proposed project and the School’s capacity to provide supervision.  While the School will advise the Enrolments and Progression team at Student Central of the permissions granted for enrolment in ARTS501 OR ARTS502, it is the student’s own responsibility to ensure that he/she is correctly enrolled in the unit via Student Central.  Notification of approval will come from Enrolments and Progression.

Both your Supervisor and the Unit Coordinator are required to sign before permission to enrol in the unit is complete.