Call 000in an emergencyThen call Safety and Security
6773 2099UNE Safety and SecurityOn-campus reporting
1800 572224National Support Number24-hour support
6773 4260Student Grievance UnitUNE reporting and support
6773 2897UNE Counselling ServiceBusiness hours support
1300 661927After-hours counsellingUNE support
0488 868771Text lineUNE text counselling
We can help
Campus assistance and support: If you’ve been assaulted, or have experienced threatening or inappropriate behaviour as a member of the UNE community, we can help
Who else can help
Contacts and services outside of UNE that are available to help you with support or reporting of sexual assault or sexual harassment
Update — August 2018
- Updates to the Residential College Code of Conduct that ensure immediate escalation of matters being referred to the university’s independent investigative unit.
- Rolling out first responder training for key frontline students and staff to respond to disclosures of sexual violence and assault with compassion and care. 160 staff and students have completed the training to date.
- Provided online training for all students and staff on consent and responding to disclosures.
- Implemented the online anonymous reporting function for student and staff to notify the university of sexual assault and harassment.
- Introduced new student event protocols to reduce the role of alcohol in on-campus activities.
- Moved the physical location of the counselling services to the residential college precinct to make it easier for students to access and attend sessions.
- Increased counselling and crisis support services for all students. More counsellors have been employed and all students now have access to an after-hours crisis support line.
- Provided a free bus service travelling between college and the CBD at night time from Tuesday to Saturday. Students can contact and track the bus via the UNE Security app.
- Introduced new student event guidelines and monitoring systems to reduce the role of alcohol at student-led events.
The Action Plan is a living document, and will be updated to reflect the latest initiatives that are being developed to implement the report’s recommendations, and carry these into the future.April 2018 Update
“There is deep commitment right through the UNE community to ensuring that no-one has occasion to be worried about their safety while living and studying on our beautiful campus.”AHRC to review UNE colleges
(News story, April 2018)
'Change the Course' Results and Recommendations
The National Report on Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment at Australian Universities Delivered by the Sex Discrimination Commissioner of the Australian Human Rights Commission, Ms Kate Jenkins, at UNE on Thursday 19 April 2018.
UNE Safe app
Free safety and security app available for iPhone or Android
The app contains a wide range of features, including:
Security push notifications informing the UNE Campus users of a critical incident in real time,
Friend Walk – allows you to location share with a friend so they can monitor your whereabouts,
Report a tip, suspicious package/behaviour etc to Safety, Security & Information via email, phone or SMS,
Chat with Safety & Security via text,
UNE Campus Map,
Emergency Response Plans with links to Emergency Service Information,
Support resources – direct contact to counselling, student grievance unit, Employee Assistance Program and other Government and NGO sites for support