The codebreaker challenge
Crack the cipher!
Congratulations to the winners of the codebreaker challenge:
1st: Ines Anton-Mendez
2nd: Hayden Koudela
Honourable Mention: Warwick Pearson
- Clue: The Initial Key is: 4533153211
- Clue: Use all the Codebreaker Tools to work out the answer.
- Clue: Use the Codes and Codebreaking Exhibition to work out the answer.
- Clue: The answer is something important to the UNE Museum of Antiquities.
- Clue: The letter frequency in the answer is: 5:3:4:2:2:1.
The encrypted message
|ANSWER:|| || || || || || || || || || || || || || || || |
Terms and conditions
- Only one (1) entry per person is permitted.
- Primary and Secondary School classes may submit one (1) entry per class in addition to any individual entries submitted by individual students of the school.
- To be valid, entries must be complete, correct, and received by email at CuratorUNEMA@une.edu.au by 5pm EST on Wednesday 28 August 2019.
- The competition winner/s will be drawn from the pool of valid entries submitted to CuratorUNEMA@une.edu.au by 5pm EST on Wednesday 28 August 2019.
- The winner/s will be drawn and announced live at the free Aspects of Antiquity Public Lecture to be held at the University of New England’s Arts Building (E11) Lecture Theatre A2 on Thursday 29 August 2019 from 5:00-6:30pm EST.
- The number of winners will be determined by the number of gift voucher prizes donated to UNEMA for this event by Woolworths Armidale and the UNE Friends of Antiquity.
- The prize/s are not transferable and not redeemable for cash.
- The winner/s will be contacted using the preferred contact information provided by the winner/s on their competition entry. If the winner cannot be contacted within 2 weeks, a redraw will take place.
- If the winner/s are unable to collect the prize in person, UNEMA will undertake to post the voucher to an Australian postal address. All risks for sending the prizes by Australia Post are borne by the recipient.
- International participants are welcome. If international winner/s are unable to collect the prize in person, or to supply an Australian postal address, they will be announced as a winner but their prize donated to the UNE Life Advocacy & Welfare Free Student Food Pantry – an initiative established at UNE to address the pressing issue of food insecurity for students (an issue identified in the Universities Australia Finances Survey 2017).
- The Curator of UNEMA and the Communications & Engagement Officer of the Faculty of HASS&E are ineligible to enter the competition.
- Participants under the age of 18 years are required to obtain the permission of their parent or guardian to enter the competition and to agree to these terms, and they are deemed to have obtained that permission by submitting an entry.
- All entries will be assessed by the UNEMA Curator with the help of the UNEMA Committee.
- The UNEMA Committee reserves the right to verify the validity of all entries and to cancel any entry which, in the opinion of the Committee, fails to comply with these terms and conditions, is unsuitable, contains objectionable content, or infringes copyright.
- The decisions of the Curator and Committee of UNEMA are final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
- By participating in the competition, entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and by the decisions of the Committee and Curator of UNEMA. It is a condition of participation that all decisions are accepted as final and participants agree to abide by these terms and conditions.
- The closing date for competition entries is 28 August 2019 at 5:00pm EST. Entries will not be accepted after this date and time.
- All entries submitted will become the property of UNE.
- The competition winner/s accept that their name only will be announced at the live draw on Thursday 29th August 2019 and published on the competition website and on UNE social media.
- No personal information or contact details submitted by any entrant, apart from the winner/s name/s, will be publicly divulged by the competition organisers.
- UNEMA will collect specific personal information (i.e. name and preferred contact details) from entrants only to enable participation in the competition. This information will be deleted upon the conclusion of the competition.
- The winner/s agree to the publication and disclosure of their name for the purpose of announcing the competition winner/s (as per the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW)).
- No liability is undertaken or arises for UNEMA, UNEMA’s staff, sponsors, supporters, or for UNE, for any personal injury, loss, damage, or expenses (whether direct or consequential) to persons or property arising out of or otherwise connected with this competition or entry into this competition.
- Participants undertake to have fun.
Submit your answer
Submit your entry by email using the subject heading “Codebreaker Challenge” to the Curator of the UNE Museum of Antiquities (UNEMA) at: CuratorUNEMA@une.edu.au
- Your name
- Your preferred contact details
- Your answer.