Life After University

Now you have finished your teaching degree, you are probably wondering how you can get a job as a teacher and start earning money so you can stop eating noodles as your main dietary intake. But where do you start?

The below has been put together as a guide to help you to apply for teaching jobs. It is mainly focussed on New South Wales, however, it contains links to other states' teacher registration sites.

Disclaimer: The information on this site should be checked for accuracy before embarking on the application process. It is recommended you contact each states' regulatory body to ensure you have the correct information.

Where to Start

Early Childhood (EC)

Not all states and territories require registration before you begin working as an Early Childhood Teacher. The ACECQA website gives the details of each state and territory's requirements for registration.

Initial Teacher Education (ITE)


The very first thing to do is apply for the paid version of the Working with Children Check. NESA will not be able to begin the process until you have your paid check so get on the web, enter your details and get down to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) to finish this step.

The next thing to do will be to apply for accreditation through NESA. This will either be Conditional Accreditation (the ability to teach when you have not yet graduated) or Provisional Accreditation (you have graduated and want to move to the next step). The NESA website will guide you through this.

After this, you will need to find a job.

Applying for the Graduate Recruitment Program (the Department of Education's programme for recruiting graduate teachers straight from university) will be expedited if you have followed the previous two steps.

Alternatively, you can apply directly to each sector:

  • Government Schools
    Apply directly to the Department of Education and Communities.
  • Catholic Schools
    Apply directly to the diocese(s) in which you wish to teach.
  • Independent and Private schools
    Apply directly to the school(s) in which you wish to teach. They will typically advertise job vacancies on employment websites or in newspapers.


For the best information regarding the process, contact the Queensland College of Teachers.


For the most up to date information, contact the Victorian Institute of Teachers.


The Teacher Registration Board - Tasmania has information about registration and jobs. Contact the TRB to find out more.


The South Australian Teacher Registration Board website is a good place to start for registration. Make sure you contact them to get the details about applying for jobs.


Contact the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia to find out more about registration and applying for jobs.


The Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory will be your best bet for information regarding teacher registration and how to apply for jobs.


For more information regarding teacher registration and job applications, contact the ACT teacher Quality Institute.