Dr Bert Jenkins
Senior Lecturer - School of Humanities
Phone: +61 2 6773 5120
My academic interests are interdisciplinary. Apart from academic work, I have experience in civil-society agency within the environmental sector, especially in revegetation, ecological restoration and nature conservation. My research over the past decade has focused on peace education in Bougainville, where peace, the environment and development coincide. My future research will engage with the environmental humanities. I intend investigating human-animal conflict, forest gardens and food security in South Asia.
Senior Lecturer - Convenor of Peace Studies
School of Humanities
Room 127 E11 (Level 1 – Philosophy Corridor)
PhD (NE), BSc AES (Hons) (Griff), Ass. Dip. RT (Hort) (QAC)
New York Academy of Sciences (MNYAS)
Peace Education Commission - International Peace Research Association
- Peace Studies
- Conflict Transformation
- Environmental Security and Peaceful Futures
- Ecological Peace
- Ecological Restoration
- Peace Education
- Environmental Humanities
Jenkins, B., Jenkins, K. and Cornish, L. (2013) A Peace Education Curriculum for Bougainville, Open Knowledge Network, University for Peace Press, S.J. Costa Rica.
Hakena, H., Ninnes, P. and Jenkins, B.A.(Eds.) (2006), NGOS and Post-Conflict Recovery: The Leitana Nehan Women’s Development Agency, Bougainville, Asia Pacific Press, Canberra, ACT.
Ware, H., Jenkins, B., Branagan, M. and Subedi, D.B. (Eds.) (2014), Cultivating Peace: Contexts, Practices and Multidimensional Models, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Other Selected Publications:
Jenkins, Bert and Branagan, Marty (2014), ‘Introduction’ in Cultivating Peace: Contexts, Practices and Multidimensional Models, by Helen Ware, Bert Jenkins, Marty Branagan and DB Subedi (Eds.), Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, pp. 1-16.
Lynch, Tony and Jenkins, Bert (2014), ‘Two Kinds of Peace: Concluding reflections on peacemaking, peacekeeping and peacebuilding’ in Cultivating Peace: Contexts, Practices and Multidimensional Models, by Helen Ware, Bert Jenkins, Marty Branagan and DB Subedi (Eds.), Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, pp. 367-376.
Iribarnegaray, D. and Jenkins, B. (2013) ‘Islam and the West: The Possibility of a Nonkilling Future’, in Nonkilling, Security and the State, Joám Evans Pim, (Ed.) pp. 323-347, Co-Published by Centre for Global Nonkilling, Honolulu Hawaii and Creighton University - Asian World Centre, Omaha Nebraska.
Lynch T. and Jenkins, B.A. (2012) Two Kinds of Peace: Reflections on Peacemaking, Peacekeeping and Peacebuilding, Dissent, No. 39, Spring Edition Jen
Jenkins K.A. and Jenkins B.A. (2010) Cooperative Learning: a dialogic approach to constructing a locally relevant peace education programme for Bougainville, Journal of Peace Education, Volume 7: Issue 2, 185-203.
Jenkins B.A. and Jenkins K.A. (2009) To Mine or Not to Mine on Bougainville: Linking Peace to the Environment, pp. 19-28 In: Environmental Education in Context: An International Perspective on the Development of Environmental Education, Eds. Neil Taylor, Michael Littledyke, Chris Eames and Richard K. Coll, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam/Taipei.
Ojha, C.R. and Jenkins, B.A. (2009) ‘Conflict Induced Internally Displaced Persons in Nepal: Popular Estimation or Numbers Game?’ Pakistan Journal of International Relations, Vol.1 (1), p. 65-110.
Jenkins B. A. (2008) Education for Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resource Management on Bougainville, pp. 33-43 In: Science Education in Context: An International Examination of the Influence of Context on Science Curricula Development and Implementation, Eds. Richard K. Coll and Neil Taylor, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam/Taipei.
Lynch T. and Jenkins, B.A. (2007) Global Warming, contemporary politics & the principle of least disruption, Australian Quarterly, Volume 79, Issue 4, pp.30-35, July-August.
Reid, N., Nadolny, C., Banks, V., O’Shea, G. and Jenkins, B. A. (2007) ‘Causes of Eucalypt Tree Decline in the Namoi Valley, NSW’, Project No. UNE42 – Final Report to Land and Water Australia (ISBN 1 921208 147)
Jenkins B. A. (2006) ‘Strengthening Communities for Peace’, Chapter 4, pp.37-69 In: NGOS and Post-Conflict Recovery: The Leitana Nehan Women’s Development Agency, Bougainville, Eds. Helen Hakena, Peter Ninnes and Bert Jenkins, Asia Pacific Press, Canberra.
Jenkins B. A. (2006) ‘From Peace to Progress’, Chapter 5, pp.70-89 In: NGOS and Post-Conflict Recovery: The Leitana Nehan Women’s Development Agency, Bougainville, Eds. Helen Hakena, Peter Ninnes and Bert Jenkins, Asia Pacific Press, Canberra.
Jenkins, B.A. (2006) War and peace, in The No-nonsense Guide to Conflict and Peace, Ware, H, (ed.), New Internationalist Publications Ltd, Oxford, UK, pp. 10-25
Jenkins K.A. and Jenkins B.A. (2005) Education for Sustainable Development and the Question of Balance: Lessons from the Pacific. Current Issues in Comparative Education [Online], Vol. 7 (2):
Jenkins, K.A., Berman, J. and Jenkins, B.A. (2005) 'A proliferation of self-described 'international' schools in Sri Lanka: A response to globalization', Questioning, vol.1, 112-128
Jenkins B. A. (2005) ‘Environmental Security’, Chapter 42 of Section Nine, pp.321-329 In: Securing a Peaceful Pacific, Eds. John Henderson & Greg Watson, Canterbury University Press, Christchurch, NZ
Jenkins, B.A. (2004) ‘Gaia: The Practical Science of Planetary Medicine – A review of James Lovelock’s Gaia hypothesis’, Back to Earth Magazine for World Peace, Vol. 1: 39-41. (ISSN: 1449-972X)
Jenkins, B. A. (2003) NGOs in Bangladesh: Are They in a Strong Position to Assist Vulnerable People Living on Low-Lying Lands to Cope with Floods? ‘South Asia: Journal of South Asian StudiesVol. XXVI, no.3: 455-466
COMMITTEES AND BOARDS
- Ministerial Appointment: Member of the Tenterfield Native Vegetation Management Committee, Representing the Ecological Society of Australia in Northwest NSW (1999-2003)
- Ministerial Appointment: Member of the Border Rivers Catchment Management Board, Northwest NSW (1999-2003)
- Ministerial Appointment: Member of the Namoi Catchment Management Board, Northwest NSW (2000-2002)
Civil Society Agency:
- Executive of the Nature Conservation Council of NSW (NCC) (2001-2002)
- Director & Chair of ‘Change-X-Change’ - A not for profit networking practitioners, activists and CSOs engaged in community development (2003-2005)
- Education Committee of Peace Brigades International – Indonesia (2002-2004)
- Nucleus Group of ‘Evolveris’ – a not for profit - Evolver Movement (2006-2008)
- Chair & Director of Displaced Peoples Organization Pty Ltd (2010 – 2012)
- Advisory Committee for Citizens Wildlife Corridors (CWC): Community-based organization and charity in Armidale NSW (2003-2013)
- Advisory Committee - Bougainville Inter Church Women’s Forum (BICWF): Women’s NGO focusing on: Community Development, Critical Literacy, Women’s Empowerment in Bougainville (2006-2011)
- Member of the Peace Education Council for the Peace Education Commission of the International Peace Research Association (IPRA) (2010-2012, 2014-2016)
- Co-director of the Centre for Peace Studies at UNE (2003-2007)
- Coordinator Professional Studies Program, School of Professional Development and Leadership (2006-2007)
- Course Coordinator: Master of Professional Studies (Coursework) (2006-2010)
- Course Coordinator: Master of Professional Studies Research (2006-2010)
- Research Committee: Professional Development & Leadership (2006-2007)
- Equity Committee –Education Health and Professional Studies (2006-2007)
- Peace Studies Convenor, School of Humanities, UNE (2008-Current)
- Research Committee - School of Humanities (2008-2014)
- Course Coordinator – Master of Environmental Advocacy (2011-2013)
- Teaching and Learning Committee – School of Humanities (2008-Current)
- Higher Degree Research Coordinator, School of Humanities, UNE (2013-2014)
- Representative on the UNE Academic Board Higher Degree Research Committee (2013-2014) and sub-committee for Scholarships and Scholarship Ranking