New Colombo Plan Mobility Program

In 2017, UNE will have three x $7,000 subsidies to assist three Law students to study for one semester at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand.  These subsidies are being offered under the New Colombo Plan Mobility Program

There is also the possibility of accessing loans from the Government – see more information below.

Note: Students must be aged between18-28 (although this age restriction does not apply to indigenous students) at the time of commencing the overseas placement (earliest being August 2017).


Please note that applications for exchange to study for Semester 1 at Thammasat (August – December 2017) will close 11.59pm 19 June, 2017.


Dr. Same Varayudej – law contact information

John McKinnon – exchange information

See below for more detailed information.


An Overseas Exchange is where you undertake studies at a "partner" institution in another country.  There, you will study four subjects/courses/units (or the equivalent of four units at UNE) which will have been approved before you leave Australia via the Advanced Standing/Permission to Enrol Elsewhere process.  The units are paid for as part of your Australian Course, normally as HECS if you are in a Commonwealth Supported Place, as you are concurrently enrolled at UNE in Approved Overseas Study (AOS) units.  

This means that you would avoid the international study fees charged by institutions overseas, which can often be very expensive.  The HECS charges are still able to be deferred, if you already do that, and so there is no extra cost on top of that.  You can choose to study for one semester/trimester or a full year.  We require an exemplary academic record to nominate you to one of our exchange partners, with a minimum of a Pass at all levels attempted at UNE.  If you have not met this requirement, then you may want to consider one of the other options below.  Partners are not able to be added because a student would like to study in a specific location.  It can take 1-2 years to set up a new exchange agreement, so this is not done for single students, but based on many reasons.


To assist you with funding your overseas study experience, you may be eligible to apply for OS-HELP (a government loan) for exchange, study abroad or short term study programs, as long as you meet the criteria set by the government.

In 2017, the maximum OS-HELP loan is $7,880 if you are studying in Asia.  You can have a maximum of two loans over two teaching periods/semesters if you meet the relevant criteria.  You pay these back in the same way you undertake repayment of your HECS-HELP debt.  You do not have to pay anything up front and only start repaying once you meet the minimum income requirements, just like your HECS-HELP debt.  You must have completed at least 48 credit points (8 units) of your course and have at least 6 credit points or one unit left upon your return, to meet the OS-HELP requirements.

If you are undertaking studies in Asia, you may also be eligible to apply for another $1,050 supplement loan in addition to the above if you undertake introductory studies in a relevant Asian language, such as Thai.  

More information on OS-HELP loans can be found here .

The 2016 OS-HELP "Thinking About Studying Overseas?" brochure is available here and the 2017 brochure should be available soon.

You can access the UNE OS-HELP Loan Application and Information page online.

UNE’s Partner institutions can be found here.


Further information and forms for Exchange and Study Abroad can be found here .

Minimum Requirements for an Exchange Application

You must have completed at least 48 credit points (8 units) towards your degree which you wish to continue while overseas, before you apply.  Advanced Standing from previous studies can be taken into consideration.    You should have at least passed all units attempted within your current award but preference will be granted to students with a GPA of 5.0 or above.

Information on our partner in Thailand, can be found here:


You can find the current application forms here .

As part of the application process, you are required to supply a 500 word personal statement plus two references. Details on these are found on the UNE Exchange Application Form, above.

Some students also have issues finding the smartraveller statement to sign, so here is how to do this:

Go to the Smartraveller website.

Type in the country of destination in the WHERE ARE YOU GOING field in the middle of the page.

You then need to print and read the document.  We will also need you to sign, date and add your full name and UNE Student Number on the front page.  You can scan the document and return the document to .  You will need to register your travel with DFAT before you leave on your overseas program of study, but we will remind you to do this if your program is approved.

You can apply for an OS-HELP loan at any time, so that is not required immediately.


You should start the Permission ToEnrol Elsewhere Advanced Standing process as soon as possible.  Note that you will not have a "Cross-Institutional Admission Form" but you can tick the box - OVERSEAS EXCHANGE, on the online application form.  You could also "justify" the experience, by including your personal statement for the exchange application.

You will need to include the syllabus or module/course/unit outlines for each unit in your application.  Unit outlines should include the following:

  • description of the unit;
  • aims;
  • objectives;  
  • assessments, including examination requirements;  
  • unit weighting; and
  • list of reference books and textbooks.  

We suggest you select double the number you intend on doing, and usually you will need to complete a full study load at overseas institutions.

Note that credit will be given towards the overseas studies as credit points only.

The grade you receive at another institution does not transfer to your Grade Point Average (GPA) at UNE. Only units studied at UNE can count towards a UNE GPA.

You will need to forward the original transcript to Advanced Standing or have the overseas institution forward the academic transcript to upon completion so credit can be granted for the completed unit.

Only units that have been approved through PTEE will be given Advanced Standing.  

You must not study units overseas that have not been approved, as it is a legislative requirement of both being enrolled as a Commonwealth Supported Student and granted an OS HELP Loan (where relevant) that ONLY approve units that will count towards your UNE degree will be studied while overseas.

The earlier you complete the request for PTEE, the earlier we can approve your exchange and nominate you to the overseas institution.  The whole process of gaining entry to the overseas partner can be quite lengthy, so the earlier you start, the better.  It is possible that some institutions will not process your application until a time set by them, so please be aware that you often will not receive an outcome within a normal time period, such as one or two months, and it could actually be much longer than this.


You are also responsible for all travel documents, including a passport with at least six months validity remaining AFTER your return to Australia following the completion of your exchange and any personal travel.  If you will have less than six months remaining, you must renew your passport now.  If you have not already applied for a passport, this should be done immediately.  Waiting until acceptance of nomination is too late, as the overseas institution will often require the passport as part of the admission process.

Visas are obtained at your own expense.  You may even need to personally attend an interview at a Consulate General or Embassy in Australia, or where allowed, be required to send your passport to the relevant Consulate General/Embassy to obtain a visa.  For example, this is a requirement to obtaining a Visa to the USA.

It is suggested that if sending passports through the mail, that you always ensure they are registered at the post office.  Many countries require you to apply for a visa well before you arrive.  It should be noted that if you arrive in an airport of a foreign country and do not have the relevant travel documents, you could be denied entry and be required to return to Australia.  UNE will not accept any responsibility for being denied entry, as it is your own responsibility to be sure you have all relevant travel documents relevant to your entry as a student.  It is recommended that if you are not sure about the required travel documents, then you should use a travel agent, or request for further information from the relevant immigration department of destination (and transit) country where required.  UNE will not organise visas or travel documents for you.


UNE will cover your travel insurance for study purposes only.  If you take more than 2-3 days to arrive (including transit stops) and depart, then you will need to purchase additional insurance.  UNE can provide a letter and document showing currency of our travel insurance policy.  This is usually required for students travelling to the US.  It is estimated that travel insurance for approximately 4-6 months will cost over $500, so it is definitely a benefit at no cost to you.  It might be required for you to obtain additional cover during term breaks, depending on what travel plans you decide on.  You will be required to provide timely updates to your itinerary while overseas BEFORE undertaking travel away from your study destination.  You can do this by sending an email with your official travel itinerary (issued by an airline, website or travel agent) to to have the amended itinerary approved by UNE travel.


You might also like to visit our UNE Study Abroad Facebook Page.


Please note that acceptance of our nomination of you is not approval of admission.  This is a separate OFFER made by the institution, often following checks and assessment of academic standing at UNE.  We will forward the partner an academic record, so you do not need to organise this nor will you have to pay for it.  We will do it for you following outcomes of the most recent trimester.

The conditions of funding to the student are based on eligibility under the NCP Mobility Guidelines for that year. The 2017 Guidelines for Mobility Funding can be found here:

To make this much easier, the main eligibility rules for students (see 3.2 on the above link) are:

Students must be enrolled in an Undergraduate Degree while undertaking the program which must count towards their award

Students must be aged between 18 and 28 at the commencement of their mobility project

Must be Australian Citizens and students cannot receive a Student Grant to undertake a Mobility Project in a Host Location in which they have dual citizenship or residency rights, or in which they have previously been a citizen or permanent resident