Student Services and Amenities Fee

What is the Student Services and Amenities Fee?

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is charged to students for services and amenities of a non-academic nature, such as sporting and recreational activities, employment and career advice, counselling and support services, orientation programs and food services.

The University charges SSAF based on the number of credit points a student is enrolled in in a given teaching period.

Australian universities introduced the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) in 2012, after the Australian Government passed legislation in October 2011 for SSAF collections to occur. SSAF is administered in accordance with the Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Act 2011, Student Services, Amenities, Representation and Advocacy Guidelines and the Higher Education Support Act 2003 Administration Guidelines 2012.

Further information about SSAF can be obtained from the Australian Government Department of Education.

SSAF 2019 Fee Rates

From January 1, 2019 there will be changes to how the Student Services and Amenities fee is applied:

  • to all coursework students on a per 6 credit point basis at the 2019 rate of $37.75 per 6 credit points to the annual full time maximum of $302.
  • for Higher Degree Research students SSAF will be applied on a per study load period at the 2019 rate of $113.50 for a full time study and $85.00 for part time

The fee will be invoiced per study period (through MyUNE) and payable by the census date.

Please refer to the UNE Principal Dates for study period census dates.

An example of SSAF applied at the 6 credit point basis.

Credit points


6 credit points*


12 credit points


18 credit points


24 credit points


*A typical unit at UNE is 6 credit points.

The table below provides the 2019 Student Services and Amenities Fees

Enrolment Type

Liable for SSAF in 2019

Per 6 credit points*


Domestic coursework (including, sub-degrees, honours, non-award, OUA)



Deferral of the fee to SA-HELP is available for eligible students

Higher Degree Research


$113.50 Per Research Period for F/Time
$85.00 P/Time

Deferral of the fee to SA-HELP is available for eligible students

International on campus students



SSAF is payable per Study Period




SSAF is paid at the home institution

International Exchange Students


 Exchange students are exempt from SSAF
Pathway Enabling and TRACKS Students       No Pathway students are exempt from SSAF

Please note: From Trimester 1, 2020 the Student Services and Amenities fee will be applied to International online and non-award enrolments.

What is the fee used for?

SSAF funds can be used for a number of non-academic and non-political purposes to increase the quality and quantity of services and amenities available to students at UNE. The fee is used for the provision of student services and amenities that fall within one or a number of expenditure categories specified by legislation.  For a full list of allowable expenditure see Questions and Answers.

Fees collected through SSAF cannot be used to support political parties, or to support the election of a person to a Commonwealth, State or Territory Parliament or local Government body. The University may deliver the service or amenity itself or contract a third party to deliver the services and amenities on its behalf. Decisions on the expenditure of the fee are subject to a formal process of student consultation.

Do I have a say in how these funds are used?

Yes. UNE has a formal consultation process with students and their representative bodies to consider the specific uses and priorities for the allocation of student services and amenities fees.  UNE encourages students to get involved and share their ideas about how SSAF can contribute to the quality of student experience at the University.


The SSAF Committee was established in 2012 to deliver expertise in the management of the fee and form part of the consultative process with students and democratically elected student representatives. The Committee is made up of a balanced membership of student representatives and staff of the University that provide expertise in specific areas. The Committee is chaired by the Chief Financial Officer of UNE and reports to the University Executive.

Do I have to pay the fee?

From Trimester 1, 2019 all domestic and international students studying on-campus and on-line are liable for the fee, including:

  • Domestic On-Campus and Online Coursework Students
  • Domestic On-Campus and Online Research Students
  • International On-Campus

From Trimester 1, 2020 the SSAF will apply to International online students.

The following students are exempt from paying the fee:

  • Students from another institution, studying under a cross-institutional arrangement
  • International Exchange students
  • Pathways Enabling Course students
What happens if I don't pay?

Failure to either pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee or complete an SA-HELP form by the Fee Payment or Census date will result in access to the following services being suspended:

  • Academic Transcripts
  • Awarding your Testamur at Graduation
Am I eligible for SA-HELP?

SA-HELP is a loan scheme that can assist eligible students by deferring student services and amenities fees through the Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP). If you use SA-HELP, your fees will be added to your accumulated HELP debt. If eligible, you may be able to use SA-HELP, even if you do not have an existing HELP loan.

To be eligible for SA-HELP loan, you need to:

  • To be eligible for a SA‑HELP loan, you need to:
    • be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent humanitarian visa;
    • be a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements;
    • be enrolled in a course of study with a university;
    • meet the tax file number (TFN) requirements by giving your university either your TFN (if your information is not assessed as correct by the ATO, your application will not be finalised and you will be ineligible for a SA-HELP loan) or a Certificate of application for a tax file number from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO); and
    • lodge your Request for SA‑HELP assistance form by the date advised by your university.

To apply for SA-HELP assistance, please complete and submit the form provided in the myUNE student portal under the myEnrol Tab. The SA-HELP form must be returned by the due date for the relevant teaching period.

Further information about SA-HELP can be found at Study Assist.

Questions and Answers

The Questions and Answers page provides detailed information about the SSAF scheme. If you have any further questions, please email