Commonweatlh Education Costs Scholarship-Indigenous (CECS-I)
Terms and Conditions
Commonwealth Scholarships were established to increase higher education participation by students from low socio-economic backgrounds and from rural and regional areas.
The Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship-Indigenous (CECS-I) is intended to assist with general education costs. These Terms and Conditions are for Students who hold a Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship-Indigenous.
Value: Annually indexed
Duration: Maximum 4 years
Study Mode: Full-time (3 or 4 units in Trimesters One & Two), On-Campus or Off-Campus
- The applicant must be a Commonwealth supported student as defined in the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
- The applicant must not have already completed requirements equivalent to or higher than an Australian Bachelor's award
- The applicant must meet the full-time student requirements, or provide evidence of exceptional circumstances preventing full-time study (e.g. providing proof of disability or significant carer responsibilities).
- The applicant must meet the low socio-economic status criteria either:
- Through being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (e.g. Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance etc) or
- Providing proof of financial hardship
- The scholarship shall be administered by the Undergraduate Scholarships Officer.
- There will be no commitment by the University to employ the recipient.
- Continuation of the scholarship is subject to the academic and low socio-economic criteria
- Failure of all units in the 1st Trimester of the recipient's scholarship will result in the cancellation of the scholarship.
- The recipient must maintain a GPA of at least 4.00 (Pass) in Trimester One and Two. Failure to meet the required GPA in a Trimester will result in the recipient receiving a warning, the recipient will receive only one warning and if they fail to meet the GPA of at least 4.00 (Pass) from a subsequent Trimester, will result in the Scholarship been cancelled .
- The recipient will be required to provide proof of low socio-economic status by Trimesters One and Two census dates as requested by the Scholarship Officer from Student Central.
- The scholarship is payable directly into the recipient's bank account in two instalments within a month of the Trimester One and Two census dates.
- Any request to vary the conditions of the scholarship must be made in writing and will be determined at the discretion of the Scholarships Committee.
- The recipient will be required to meet the eligibility requirements on the census date of Trimester One and Two.
- Students may apply for suspension (leave of absence) for up to 12 months.
- Failure to meet the requirements of these terms and conditions will lead to the cancellation of the scholarship.