Overseas Applicants

The following information is provided as a guide only. For any specific information you should seek advice from your nearest Australian Overseas Embassy or the organisations themselves. Your new supervisor, or the Head of the area of your appointment at the University (e.g. Head of School), may also be able to assist you with more information applicable to the local area.


Current information on migrating to Australia is available from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection web site. As there are many visa categories, and variations in personal circumstances, any advice should be sought from DIAC or your nearest
Australian Overseas Embassy (a list of Embassies is also available on the DIAC website).

Health Insurance

Information on Australia's national public health insurance system is available from Medicare Australia. Private health insurance is also available from a range of providers such as Medibank Private, Medical Benefits Funds of Australia (MBF), Hospitals Contributions Fund (HCF)
and NIB Health Funds.

Staff on temporary visas are not covered by the national public health insurance scheme and must take out their own private health insurance for the duration of their appointment.


If you are working in Australia you must apply for a Tax File Number. The Australian Taxation Office website provides information about Australia's Taxation system and how to apply for a Tax File Number.

Social Security

Centrelink is a national government agency which manages Australia's social security system. Centrelink manages allowances such as Family Tax Benefits and Child Care Benefits which you may be eligible for, depending on the type of visa category you are eligible to apply for.

Motoring in Australia

The Roads and Traffic Authority provides information about driving motor vehicles and obtaining a driving license in Australia. For new staff who will be working under temporary residence visas in Australia, please refer to the following important information in relation to the time required and your ability to obtain a NSW Drivers' licence.

The National Roads and Motorists Association (NRMA) website provides useful information about buying cars in Australia.


The University of New England provides some on-campus accommodation for staff in our residential Colleges, though this may be limited for families. Armidale also has a large number of motels, which would be suitable for short-term accommodation.

Information on rental accommodation and purchasing a home, can be obtained from local Real Estate Agents. Some of the Real Estate Agents also offer a "virtual" online tour of homes available for purchase.