College Network Access
To connect to the UNE network, you need a valid UNE username and password and a computer with a network card. You must have Antivirus software installed before attempting to connect. Current antivirus software is available to download UNE's Sophos.
Supported Operating Systems (OS) are below. Click on the OS to download the setup instructions for your computer.
For information relative to Collage students read the booklet Networking in the Colleges.
Setup Instructions (Staff or Visitors)
For instructions on how to connect to the UNE cabled network read our Knowledge Base Articles for:
If you need help setting up your computer on the network, please contact the IT Service Desk for advice.
What do I need to do to connect to the network
Refer to the above for instructions for your operating system. You do not need to register your computer on the network or need proxy settings to access the internet.
My username is not accepted on the network
Reset your password. Go to the Accounts tab in MyUNE to change your password. Once reset, it will activate the network service (wired and wireless) onto your account.
I run Windows Vista Home Edition on my student computer and cannot seem to authenticate
Ensure you have the latest Vista Service Pack (SP2) installed. Run all the latest Windows updates. Earlier version of Vista Home have problems connecting and must be updated to connect.
I have done all the above (Vista SP2) and can still not connect or connect intermittently. What can I do?
College students running the updated version of Vista, an additional patch may be required.
- Make sure that the computer is running Vista SP2
- Leave the network cable connected
- Run the Microsoft fix-it for Vista SP2
- Restart the computer (with the cable connected)
- Check the connection. If it is still not connecting, then go to step 6
- Right-click the active Local Area Connection and select Properties.
In the properties box, select install -> Protocols -> Reliable Multicast Protocol.
I have restarted my Mac and can now no longer connect to the network
Macs need manual authentication after each restart.
- Click on the Apple in the top left, select System Preferences, then Network.
- Highlight the Ethernet connection on the left and click on Connect next to 802.1x on the right.
- Authentication takes around 90 seconds..