Student ID

Your Student ID Card displays your photo and your student number, and is proof of your enrolment.

You require your Student ID Card to:

  • Borrow books from the University's libraries
  • After hours access to computer labs including the IT Building
  • Sit for an examination (photo ID is required when attending examinations)
  • Photocopying and printing
  • Access to College facilities (including Catering Services)

Applying for a Student ID Card

All Student ID Card applications are made online.

Student ID Cards can be mailed or picked up from the UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office or from your Residential College Office.

Required documents for your application

Before submitting your application, please ensure you have the following:

  • Suitable passport photo image in jpg format (see requirements).
  • If you are collecting your card from the UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office you will be required to bring your identification document with you.
  • If you would like your card mailed out you will need to upload a certified copy of one of the following:
    • Current Australian Driver’s Licence
    • Valid Passport
    • Proof of Age/Photo Card

If you do not provide a correct photo or identification document with your application your Student ID Card will be delayed.

Student ID Card Application Form

Student ID Card FAQs

Do new students require a Student ID Card?

All students are required to apply for a Student ID Card.

New cards are dispatched once enrolment is complete/confirmed for the currently enrolled teaching period.

How do continuing or resuming students renew their card?

All new student cards remain valid for three years. After this time and pending approval, you can renew your student card by requesting a renewal sticker. From March 2019, approved renewal stickers will remain current for three years. (Previously, renewal stickers remained valid for one year.)

Important information about renewal stickers

Renewal stickers expire after three years, at the end of March in the year noted on your ID card/sticker. For example all renewal stickers applied for in 2019 will have an expiry date of 03/2022.

Please wait until March*, in the year your card expires, before emailing your request for a renewal sticker. This will ensure the date of the sticker covers the three-year period continuing from the expiry date.

*If you apply for a renewal sticker before March in the year your card expires, the sticker's expiry date will not cover the three-year period beyond the current year.

Standard process for requesting a renewal sticker for your expired student card

Please email with the following information:

  • Full name
  • Student number
  • Current mailing address

Are you a college student?

To enable swipe card access to your college residence from your new card, contact the office manager at your residential college who will advise and authorise the renewal of your swipe card access.

I'm attending an Intensive Schools on campus. Do I need a Student ID card?

It is essential for all students attending Intensive Schools to obtain a Student ID Card.

Student ID Cards can be obtained in person from the from the UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office or mailed prior to the commencement of Intensive Schools.

If you don't have a Student ID Card, access to UNE facilities may be restricted. This includes access to colleges, library services and computer labs & photocopying.

Please note: If you ask to have your ID card posted out to you, applications must be received three weeks prior to commencement of Intensive Schools. Applications received during intensive schools may be subject to delay.

Am I eligible for a Student Transport Concession Entitlement Card?

A student Transport Concession Entitlement Card is only available to internally enrolledfull time students & replaces the old Transport for NSW travel concession foils (stickers) previously issued & placed on the students ID Card by the University as proof of concession eligibility.

  • All students who qualify for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card must first complete a Transport for NSW eligibility form which is available from either of the UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office, Union Complex (Bistro Area) (C018) or Campus Safety Centre (B89) prior to applying online to Transport for NSW.
  • International students must have the UNE International Office (E21) verify their eligibility with UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office prior to completing the Transport Concession Entitlement Card eligibility form (available from UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office).
  • Once eligibility has been confirmed by the University, UNE then sends Transport for NSW confirmation of this eligibility.
  • Students must then go online and apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card direct with Transport for NSW. Please allow two working days between submitting the eligibility form to UNE & applying online to Transport for NSW. These two days allows Transport for NSW enough time to load the eligibility data into their system.

For travel within the Opal network, you’ll need to apply for both a Transport Concession Entitlement Card and a Concession Opal card.

For travel outside the Opal network, you only have to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card to travel on many rural and regional buses and NSW TrainLink Regional services.

Before you go online, (and after UNE has confirmed eligibility with Transport for NSW) please have these details handy, which will help you complete the form:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Student ID number
  • Name of institution.

You’ll need to enter your information exactly as you provided it to UNE when you enrolled.

Travel Concessions expire with Transport for NSW on 31st March each year.

How to I request after-hours access to buildings on campus?

If you require after hours access to a building via the Cardax swipe card system, please complete the Electronic Access Request Form (PDF, 749.63 KB) and have your unit coordinator scan and email it to or place it in the internal mail addressed to UNE Life Safety, Security & Information Office, Union Complex (C018) for action. Please allow 24 hours for your access to be placed on your card & note that requests are only processed during business hours.

Please note: The office manager at each residential college will advise and authorise the ID Card office to place swipe card access on each student card for their residence.

How do I replace a lost, stolen or damaged card?

Students are provided with one Student ID Card during the course of their degree free of charge.

If your student card is lost or stolen please advise UNE by emailing so that the card can be cancelled.

Stolen cards must also be reported to the Police via the Police Assistance Line on 131 444. A new ID Card will be issued free of charge when the Police Report number is provided.

To obtain a new student card in person you will first need to pay a $10 replacement fee online*. To pay the fee visit the online payment form.

Once this is paid you can complete the Student ID Application form.

* Please note the replacement fee is subject to change