Life in Armidale
The city boasts music venues, theatres, restaurants, cafés, hotels, entertainment and sporting facilities, a cinema and a range of shops to cater for all tastes and budgets. Known as the cultural and educational centre of the north, Armidale is proud of The New England Regional Art Museum (NERAM), which houses two major art collections of over 1,200 works.
Theatre also plays an active part in Armidale's life and local theatre companies also offer plays on a regular basis. The Armidale Orchestra, Jazz Band, Armidale City Band, and the Youth Orchestra hold regular concerts and a variety of local and imported rock and dance bands regularly perform at venues across the city. Armidale has many clubs and hotels where people of all ages and nationalities can socialise, listen to music, dance the night away or just relax.
If you’re looking for something to do on a Sunday, we recommend checking out the local Farmers Markets in Civic Park, there is always fresh coffee and food stalls that can cure any post-grad celebrations.
Where to eat
- Goldfish Bowl Open: Mon-Sat from 7:00 – 15:00
- It’s pretty hard to say where the best brunch maybe… but (nudge nudge) the Goldfish Bowl knows how to do it. And, top tip – their woodfire pizza oven is fired up every Friday evening for dinner too!
- Café Patisserie Open: Weds-Sun from 8:00 – 16:00
- Ooh-la-la! If a cabinet full of fresh croissants, eclairs, tarts, and other French patisseries is your kind of a dream come true, then look no further than this spot for brunch! They also transform into a spot for dinner weekends – bookings essential.
- Caffiends in the Mall Open: Daily from 8:00 – 14:00
- Caffiends have an all-day breakfast and lunch menu (oh yeah!).
- Alternate Root Open: Daily from 8:00 – 14:30
- Take a twenty-minute trip outside of Armidale to the beautiful little town of Uralla! Trust us – it’s worth it!
- Paper Tiger Open: Mon-Sat from 6:00 – 14:30
- This café is a must for anyone who looking for a quick and fresh Japanese style lunch! They are also open for dinner on Friday and Saturday’s – bookings essential.
- Railway Hotel Open: Daily from 9:00 – 21:00
- Cozy pub-style meals for the whole family – and maybe our favourite place for schnitty and chips YUM!
- Uralla Top Pub Open: Daily from 10:00 – 00:00
- Twenty minutes from Armidale is the little town of Uralla. The Top Pub is the place for everyone. We seriously love this place for lunch!
- The Wicklow Open: Daily from 10:00 – 00:30
- Located on our main street, the Wicklow is the perfect pub for large families and groups. There is also live music in their courtyard most weekends.
- Thai Home Open: Daily from 17:00 – 21:00
- Quick and affordable Thai food – we say no more! Located on our main street, it’s the perfect spot for dinner before hitting the nightlife.
- Indian Affair Open: Tues- Sun from 17:00 – 21:00
- The BEST papadums in Armidale – we are drooling!
- White bull Hotel Open: Daily from 10:00 – 22:00
- Perfect for lunch or dinner. Casual or fancy, take your pick. Their downstairs bar is perfect for a casual pub-style meal and their restaurant is for those who feel like getting a little swanky.
- Tattersalls Hotel Open: Front bar from 10am daily. Food service from 12:00 till 14:00 and 17:00 till 20:30
- After a fine dining experience? Look no further than Tatts! They also have an amazing pizza oven in their garden bar for those looking for a lighter meal.
- Azka Restaurant Open: Daily from 18:00 – 22:00
- Azka has Mediterranean inspired dishes that showcase the seasonal produce in Armidale.
Where to drink
Best cocktails and drinks
- Charlies Last Stand Open: Tues – Sun from 15:00 – 00:00
- The perfect place to start an evening out. Their list of seasonal cocktails has something for everyone.
- The Welders Dog Open: Daily from 14:00 – 00:00
- Try some of the New England’s local brewery craft beers. Located on the main street in Armidale, you can’t miss it!
- White bull Hotel (upstairs) Open: Daily from 10:00 – 22:00
- Fancy a couple of cocktails and some delicious light meals?