Academic Representative Election
Elections for Academic Staff Representatives from the Faculty of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences and Education to Academic Board
Eligible Level B/C and D/E academics from the Faculty of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences and Education (HASSE) will receive a email calling for nominations from those who wish to be considered for election to the Academic Board for a term of 3 years. This will also be notice that elections for these positions will be held following the call for nominations period, assuming there are more than two eligible candidates for each position.
The Academic Board is the University's peak academic governance body, responsible under Section 21 of the University of New England By-law 2005 for reporting to Council and advising '… the Council and the Vice-Chancellor on all developments and initiatives relating to and affecting the University's teaching and research activities and its educational programs.'
The Academic Board Terms of Reference require two B/C and two D/E level academic representatives from each of UNE's three Faculties be elected to the Board. Nominations are called from eligible academic staff for the following elected positions on the Academic Board:
- 2 x representatives of levels D or E academic staff from HASSE; and
- 2 x representatives of levels B or C academic staff from HASSE.
To be eligible for election, staff:
- must be a current academic staff member within the Faculty of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences and Education at either B/C or D/E level, and not a Dean, Deputy Dean or Associate Dean;
- must be employed on a continuing basis or on a fixed-term basis with sufficient service remaining to fulfil their period of office (approx. 3 years, until 9am on the day of the first Board meeting of 2023);
- will need to have arranged a supporting 'nominator' and 'seconder' from among the eligible academic staff within the same Faculty and of the same academic level (i.e. either B/C or D/E), and identify these staff on the nomination form; and
- will be asked to make a declaration that they are a fit and proper person under the TEQSA Act and ESOS Act.
The call for nominations is now open and nominations (and confirmation emails of the nomination from the nominator and seconder) are requested by 5 pm Wednesday, 27 November 2019 via the link in the email received by eligible staff. Nominations may not be withdrawn after this date.
If eligible academic staff from HASSE would like to discuss their nomination and potential role on the Board, please contact the Chair of Academic Board, Professor Mark Perry via by email or phone (x2910) prior to the close of nominations. Questions may also be directed to the Deputy Returning Officer, Ms Jenny Croaker, Senior Secretariat Officer, email@example.com or by telephone on x4359.