Bhutan — Short-term Study Opportunity
Receive credit towards your
UNE teacher education degree.
Expressions of interest currently closed.
Program will reopen in February 2019.
Information from past program
Receive $3,000 from the New Colombo Plan Mobility Scholarship and The Endeavour Scholarships for Masters Students to support your study in Bhutan.
If you are a student enrolled in T2 of 2018 in a teacher education degree at UNE, in your second, third or fourth year of study, you are invited to submit an Expression of Interest in the 2018 New Colombo Plan Mobility Scholarship round. This does not guarantee you a place in the program. All applicants will be contacted by the end of Trimester 1, 2018. An interview is part of the Scholarship selection process.
Two groups of students will be selected to receive mobility scholarships for a fully escorted attachment short-study with Royal University of Bhutan – Paro College during the following times:
- Group 1: 6–27 October 2018
- Group 2: 20 October to 10 November 2018
Students who receive a scholarship for the Bhutan program must be:
- an Australian citizen. Students with dual citizenship or permanent residency or similar in another location/country are eligible, however, they must undertake their study in a third Host Location, of which they do not have citizenship or residency rights
- enrolled in an on-shore campus of an Australian University at the time of application and throughout their study
- undertaking a teacher education degree at the commencement of the study program in Bhutan
- aged 18 to 28 inclusive at the commencement of the study program in Bhutan for New Colombo Plan for Bachelors students
- no age restriction for Endeavour scholarships for Masters students
- your course rules must include EDEC321 or EDEC345 or EDME340 or EDME369 or EDUC303/503; and you must not have previously completed these units. You will be enrolled in the units OSSE300-53 or OSSE500-53 as appropriate to substitute for your normal unit during Trimester 2, 2018.
Please note that successful applicants will receive a $3000 New Colombo Plan Mobility Scholarship.
|Expense Item||Cost (approx.)|
|Travel from Armidale to Paro (via Bangkok) return* OR||$2,750.00 (approx)|
|Travel from Sydney to Paro (via Bangkok) return*||$2,400.00 (approx)|
|Accommodation||$840.00 ($40 / day)|
|Food and consumables are at a modest cost||$210.00 ($10 / day)|
|Tuition fee for Royal University of Bhutan||$520.00 (one off fee)|
|One week historical tour (including accommodation, travel, food)||US$450.00|
*All participants must agree to travel from Armidale, Sydney or Brisbane and return. This is a condition of the UNE Insurance Travel.
Loans to cover your costs
Loans of up to $9,000 are also available for students to access via the OS-HELP. There is no loan fee: the amount borrowed is repaid once your income reaches the ATO threshold. Masters students must have completed 48 credit points of study to qualify for the loan.
Further information regarding this opportunity to borrow against your HECS can be found at www.studyassist.gov.au
Alternatively, the UNE International Office can provide more information on this opportunity.