Austin College provides a range of shared facilities designed to cater to all your needs during your stay, whether you are studying, enjoying an afternoon with friends, or relaxing in the quiet of your room. These Facilities include:
- New large communal kitchens, for easy meal preparation
- A large common room with large screen LCD TV, DVD, VCR with large comfy lounges
- 13 new kitchenettes, common rooms and bathrooms (with 3 toilets and Showers in each) in the accommodation block
- There are 7 floors of 20-25 single occupancy bedrooms with up to 2 common rooms/kitchenettes, including a table and chairs plus a lounge, bar fridge, hot water urn, toaster, microwave and ironing facilities
- A laundry with 8 free washing machines, 3 free dryers, large drying room and clothes lines
- Exercise room with power rack and functional trainer with weights etc
- Licensed bar for college and private functions
- New funky alcohol-free ‘chill out’ zone with 65” Smart TV and huge comfy bean bags and piano
- 3 BBQ areas
- Lockable bike shed
- Music room with an upright piano – plus a grand piano in dining room
- Visitor flat/s with ensuite bathroom, bar fridge and ironing facilities
- Optimum study facilities – in-room internet connection, study room, unlimited free wireless access in designated areas including the dining hall
- specially designed disabled rooms located on the bottom floor in easy to access locations
- wheelchair access and a remote control accessible shed for the storage and battery charging of mobility scooter
- bathrooms with disabled access
- ramp access to blocks and the dining hall
- rooms specifically set up with disabled access
- a shed for motorised support vehicle storage with remote access, automatic lighting system, and power points for recharging
You will have your own private bedroom with study area and share a bathroom with other residents on your floor.
In many ways, you can make this room entirely your own during your stay (provided nothing is permanently damaged), including hanging photos and using your own doona covers and pillows.
Each room will come standard with:
- Posturepedic mattresses, with the option of extending the single bed with the purchase of a bed extension from a foam retailer.
- Built in wardrobe with hanging space and 3 draws and room for shoes
- Desk with 2 open shelves and a chair
- Unlimited Wi-Fi Internet connection
- Great central heating
- 3 lights (desk, ceiling and one near your bed), and 1 power point (bring power board)
Austin is a self-catered college with a new large communal kitchen.
The large communal kitchen contains:
- 8 ovens
- 8 cooktops
- 8 microwaves ovens
- 2 large commercial fridges and freezer
You have the flexibility to cook your own meals individually or with your friends, any time of the day or night or to purchase meals from Walter's Café (open Monday - Friday 8:30am til 2:30pm). Walter's Cafe is situated right in the Austin College Dining Hall and offers a wide range of well priced, healthy food options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What to bring to Austin
Bedding & manchester
- Doona and cover suitable for single bed
- Sheets and pillow cases
- Pillows and cushions
Kitchen and dining
- Crockery and cutlery
- Washing up liquid and sponges
- Washing basket
- Laundry powder/liquid
- Door hanging clothes horse
Clothes and Toiletries
- Clothes! (Armidale can have four seasons in one day), is in the highlands, it can get quite chilly and hot too!!!!!!!
- Coat hangers
- Formal outfits (suits or cocktail dresses for college formal dinners)
- Costumes (check your college pages for an idea of what kind of theme events they have) you will get plenty of time to get some in Armidale!
- Exercise gear
- Bath robe for the dash to and from the bathroom
- Ugg boots (nice in the winter months!)
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving materials etc
Please note: All electrical equipment which are older than 12 months must be safety tagged by an electrician or electrical store before you arrive.
- Power board
- Extension cord
- Ethernet cable - category 5 (optional free Wi-Fi available)
- TV, mini fridge, or fairy lights
- Small desk fan
Do NOT bring
- Electric blankets or double adaptors
- Heaters - the colleges are centrally heated
- An ironing board, iron, microwave, toaster or kettle. These are provided in each kitchenette.
- Pets - nothing bigger than a goldfish is permitted
- Anything illegal or dangerous - illicit drugs, weapons, flammables. Disciplinary action* will be taken for any banned items.