Dr Sharl Marimuthu
Lecturer - School of Law
Phone: +61 2 6773 3054
Dr. Sharl Marimuthu joined the School of Law at UNE in May 2013. She obtained her LLB (Hons) from the University of London in 1993, her LLM from the University of Malaya, Malaysia in 2002 and her Ph.D. from Monash University, Australia in 2011. Sharl’s work explores how the legal framework can be improved for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of natural resources. Her primary research areas include regulation of food systems and alternative foods such as insects for both for human and animal consumption. She also undertakes research on Biosphere Reserves. Her teaching area includes Corporation Law (LAW251) and Civil Procedure (Law 312). Prior to joining UNE, between 2002 and 2013, Dr. Sharllene was as a law lecturer at Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) Malaysia. She has taught a wide range of subjects including Business Law, Company Law, Evidence, Law of Bankruptcy, Law of Contract, Civil Procedure, Civil Trial and Advocacy, and Probate and Wills. She has also worked as a Barrister in leading firms in Malaysia.
Sharl speaks five (5) different languages, and outside of work she enjoys bushwalking, hiking, camping and salsa dancing.
LL.B (Hons), Certificate in Legal Practice (Malaysia), LL.M, Ph.D. (Monash)
Civil Procedure (LAW312)
Corporation Law (LAW251)
Food Law and Policy
Regulation of Advertisements and Labelling of Medicinal products, Food and Cosmetics.
Research Supervision Experience
Currently supervising students
Research Supervision Experience
Currently supervising students
- Omar, H; Marimuthu, S; Mahali, M Law of Evidence in Malaysia (2nd Edition)
Thomson Reuters Malaysia,
- Omar Habibah, Marimuthu Siva Barathi, Mahali Mazlina, 'Law of Evidence in Malaysia' (1st ed 2014, Sweet & Maxwell).
- Thuraisingam Indrani, Mohamed Shafi, Mohamed Iqbal, Sankaran, Mohan, et al, 'Review of Consumer Protection Act 1999 (Malaysia)' (2007) Legal Reform Committee on Consumer Protection Act 1999 of Federation of Malaysian Consumer Association (FOMCA).
- Lahteenmaki-Uutela, L. Henault-Ethier, Marimuthu, S, S. Talibov, R.N Allen, V.Nemane, G.Vanderberg, D.Jozefiak. The Impact of the Insect Regulatory System on the Insect Marketing System, Journal of Insects as Food and Feed 2018 online, Special Edition
- Lahteenmaki-Uutela, A; Tahkapaa, S; Nummela, H; Marimuthu, S Food Crime in Finland, International Review of Penal Law, v.87 (1), pgs.203-224 -- issn:0223-5404
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi, ‘Should Advertisements of Prescription Drugs Directed at Consumers Remain Banned in Malaysia? Australian Journal of Asian Laws Vol 17 No 1 Article 6 pp 1-14 2016. The URL for SSRN Author Page is: http://ssrn.com/author=2566820
- Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, 'Regulation for Advertising Medicinal Products in Malaysia' (2012) 3 MLJ 2012.
- Marimuthu, Siva Barathi and Jayabalan Sheela, 'Advertising of Pharmaceutical Products by Online Pharmacy in Malaysia: Do We Need Specific Laws to Govern' (2012) Law Tides.
- Jayabalan Sheela and Marimuthu, Siva Barathi 'Surrogacy Arrangements: Law and Morality Issues in the Malaysian Perspectives' (2012) Law Tides.
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi, Food Security and Agro-diversity’ at the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) on 2 July 2018 in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi Regulation of Functional Food at the ‘Food Governance, The Role of Law, Regulation, and Policy in Meeting 21st Century Challenges in the Food Supply’ at Sydney University on 2 & 3rd of November 2016.
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi, ‘Comparative Analysis of the Civil Procedure Rules in both Australia and Malaysia’ at Civil Procedure Academic Focus Roundtable Monash University, Australian Center for Civil Justice between 17th and 19th of February 2016.
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi, 'Direct to Consumer Advertising of Prescription Drugs' 11th ASLI Conference 2104 – Law in Asia Balancing Tradition & Modernisation, 29th – 30th of May 2014, Malaysia.
- Magner Eilis, Marimuthu Siva Barathi 'Teaching Civil and Criminal Procedure Together' at Civil Justice Research and Teaching Conference on the 17th and 18th of February 2014 at UTAS Hobart, Australia.
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi, Jayabalan Sheela, 'System of Pre-Approval of Advertisements of Medicinal Products in Malaysia' The International Conference on Consumerism 2013 (ICC2013) on the 27th March 2013, National University of Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Jayabalan Sheela, Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, 'Choice of Law in E-Commerce Transaction: The Freedom that Needs Protection' The International Conference on Consumerism 2013 (ICC2013) on the 27th March 2013, National University of Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, 'Excluding Food from Classification as Medicinal Products: The Implication on Consumer Protection' International Conference on Emerging Issues in Public Law, Faculty of Law, University Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Shah Alam, 13th and 14th December 2011.
- Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, 'Equitable Practice of Online Pharmacy' Presented at the 4th Asian Law Institute Conference, in Depok, Indonesia on 24 and 25 May 2007.
- Marimuthu Siva Barathi, Jayabalan Sheela, 'Deceptive Online Advertising and Women' Presented at the Women and the Law Seminar, Renaissance Hotel, Malacca, Malaysia (9 September 2006).
- Jayabalan Sheela, Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, '"Surrogacy Motherhood": A Mere Contract' Presented at the Women and the Law Seminar, Renaissance Hotel, Malacca, Malaysia (9 September 2006).
- Kaur, Daleleer, Arumugam, Nalini , Marimuthu Siva Barathi, 'Challenges faced by Single Mothers' ERA Consumer Association of Malaysia, Education and Research Association for Consumers, Malaysia. Presented at Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (6 May 2005).
- Kaur, Daleleer, R, Arumugam Nalini , Marimuthu Siva Barathi, 'Challenges faced by Single Mothers' Institute of Research, Development and Commercialisation (IRDC), MARA University of Technology (UiTM), Malaysia, Presented at Primula Resort, Kuala Trengganu (10 - 12 June 2005).
- Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, 'Legal and Regulatory Issues Pertaining to Online Advertising' Institute of Research, Development and Commercialisation (IRDC) MARA University of Technology (UiTM), Malaysia. Presented at Primula Resort, Kuala Trengganu (10 - 12 June 2005).
ASEAN Law Association
External Examiner: Subject and Programme External Examiner for the Diploma in Policing, BSc Police Science Top-up and PG Cert Police Leadership (Royal Malaysia Police) programs at University of Derby, UK.
Human Research Ethics Committee
Technology Working Group
- Lähteenmäki-Uutela, Anu, Tähkäpää, Satu; Nummela, Heidi; Marimuthu, Siva Barathi, ‘Food Crime in Finland’ – RIDP 2016/2 issue on Food Regulation and Criminal Justice 2017.
- Global Differences in Insect Regulation: The Background and the Impacts, to be presented at the EAAP - European Federation of Animal Science Conference, Tallinn in September 2017 - https://eaap2017.org/abstracts/
Lähteenmäki-Uutela, A.M., Hénault-Ethier, L., Marimuthu, Siva Barathi., Nemane, V.V.