Dr Siva Barathi (Sharl) Marimuthu
Lecturer , Civil Procedure and Corporation Law - School of Law
Phone: +61 2 6773 3054
Dr Sharl Marimuthu teaches in the areas of Corporate Law and Civil Procedure, and her research is focused on environmental and agricultural law, exploring how the legal framework and governance can be improved for the sustainable use of natural resources and food production. Her PhD thesis received from Monash University explored the regulation of advertisements for medicinal products, including the interface between food and medicine, functional foods, labelling and health claims. Her research has expanded to encompass climate-resilient foods, such as insects as food and feed, and exploring the impact of food production on biodiversity.
Prior to joining the University of New England, Dr Sharl was a Senior Lecturer with Universiti Teknologi MARA, teaching a variety of subjects including Law of Evidence, Corporation Law, Bankruptcy Law and Civil litigation. Prior to that, she was a Barrister with Messrs. Paul Ong & Associates.
Her reputation is recognised both domestically and internationally in natural resource governance. Dr Sharl has written articles on food regulation as well as regulation of medicinal products. She has also examined a PhD thesis on water governance. Dr Sharl was the lead researcher for the Malaysian Country Study in the 2018 UNESCO project on Biosphere Reserve ‘Comparative Law Study on the Implementation of Biosphere Reserve Zonation in the Asia Pacific Region’, conducted by Western Sydney University, Australia. She has also, using the knowledge gained as a Barrister and University lecturer for 10 years, co-authored two books on Law of Evidence in Malaysia.
LL.B (Hons), Certificate in Legal Practice (Malaysia), LL.M, Ph.D. (Monash)
Civil Procedure (LAW312)
Corporation Law (LAW251)
Primary Research Area/sSustainable Food Production; Natural Resource Governance ; Food and Law
Food Law and Policy
Regulation of Advertisements and Labelling of Medicinal products, Food and Cosmetics.
UNESCO research project ‘Country Study on Malaysia’ including a significant contribution to the Indonesian Country Study and Case Study. Appointed as lead researcher for the Malaysian Country Study and as a contributor to the Indonesian Case and Country Study.
Research Supervision Experience
Research Supervision Experience
Titled: ‘How ASX200 directors are reflecting on their practicing of the ASX Corporate Governance Council Principles and Recommendations’. Completed - 2015- 2018
Enforcement of Forestry Laws in Peninsular Malaysia through the Implementation of Collaborative Management of Natural Resources Agreement (CMNRA): A Case Study in the State of Terengganu’.
Working Title: Integrated Food Policy for a Sustainable Food System in Light of Climate Change and Depleting Natural Resources
- Omar, H; Marimuthu, S; Mahali, M Law of Evidence in Malaysia (2nd Edition) Thomson Reuters Malaysia, 2018.
- Omar, H; Marimuthu, S; Mahali, M Law of Evidence in Malaysia Thomson Reuters Malaysia, 2015.
- Lahteenmaki-Uutela, L. Henault-Ethier, Marimuthu, S, S. Talibov, R.N Allen, V.Nemane, G.Vanderberg, D.Jozefiak. The Impact of the Insect Regulatory System on the Insect Marketing System, Journal of Insects as Food and Feed 2018 online, Special Edition 2018.
- Lahteenmaki-Uutela, A; Tahkapaa, S; Nummela, H; Marimuthu, SFood Crime in Finland International Review of Penal Law, v.87 (1), pgs.203-224 issn:0223-5404, 2017.
- Marimuthu, S Should Direct to Consumer Advertisements (DTCA) of Prescription Drugs Remain Banned in Malaysia? Australian Journal of Asian Law, v.17 (1), pgs.1-14 -- issn: 1839-4191, 2016.
- Marimuthu, S System of Pre-approval of advertisements of medicinal products in Malaysia. ICC 2013: International Conference on Consumerism - Consumer Sovereignty in the Global Era, Bangi, Malaysia, 27th March, 2013.
- Jayabalan, S; Marimuthu, S 'Choice of law' in e-commerce consumer transaction: the freedom that needs protection ICC 2013: International Conference on Consumerism - Consumer Sovereignty in the Global Era, Bangi, Malaysia, 27th March, 2013.
- Marimuthu, S The Regulation of the Advertising of Medicinal Products The Malayan Law Journal, v.3, pgs.cxlv-clxvi -- issn: 0025-1283, 2012.
- Marimuthu, S; Jayabalan, S Advertising of Pharmaceutical Products by Online Pharmacies: Need for Specific Legal Governance Law Tides, v.5, 2012.
- Jayabalan, S; Marimuthu, S Surrogacy Arrangements: Law and Morality Issues in the Malaysian Perspective Law Tides, v.5, 2012.
Clinical Skills and Experience
ASEAN Law Association