Dr Tanya M Howard
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow - Australian Centre for Agriculture and Law (AgLaw)
Phone: +61 6773 3282
Tanya Howard has been a Post-doctoral research fellow at the University of New England since 2015. During this time, Tanya has worked under the supervision of Professor Ted Alter from Penn State University and Professor Paul Martin from the Australian Centre for Agriculture and Law, on the Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre project ‘Facilitating Effective Community Action’. Current research projects include case studies of collective community action in wild dog management; capacity building and network development for invasive species community practitioners; collaborative policy and program reform for community action on biosecurity management; in-depth relationship development, research practice and community building with collaborators across Australia.
Tanya’s doctoral thesis explored participatory processes in the environmental governance of rural landscapes and capacity building in rural communities. This research applied socio-legal methods to explore how community voices are brought into environmental governance.
Previously Tanya has worked with rural and remote communities to develop and deliver quality natural resource management and environmental sustainability outcomes across the non-government to government sectors.
While at UNE, Tanya has taught postgraduate studies in the Masters of Sustainability. She has active research links with Pennsylvania State University and the Kettering Foundation in the USA. Tanya is passionate about the role of authentic and honest communication, deliberative practices and community participation in the pursuit of environmental and social justice.
BA (UNSW), MEnvEd (Macq), PhD (UNE)
Community engagement, natural resource governance, socio-legal methodologies
- Howard, T. M., T. Alter, P. Frumento and L. J. Thompson (2018). 'Community pest management: a narrative approach'. Melbourne, Springer, in press.
- Howard, T. & Teles Da Silva, S. (2015), 'Possible legal obligations to consult' in Martin, P. & Kennedy, A. (eds), Implementing Environmental Law, The IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Series, Edward Elgar
- Howard, T. M. (2018). "Balancing the see-saw of natural resource governance: The interaction of legislation, policy and practice in four Australian participatory processes." Australasian Journal of Environmental Management in press.
- Howard, T. M., L. J. Thompson, P. Z. Frumento and T. Alter (2017). "Wild dog management in Australia: an interactional approach to case studies of community-led action." Human Dimensions of Wildlife 23 (3).DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10871209.2017.1414337
- Kennedy, A., Schafft, K.A. & Howard, T.M. (2017), 'Taking away David's sling: Environmental justice and land-use conflict in extrative resource development', Local Environment, vol.22, (8), pp: 952-968
- Howard, T.M. (2017), 'Raising the bar: The role of institutional frameworks for community engagement in Australian natural resource governance', Journal of Rural Studies, vol.49, pp:78-91
- Howard, T. & Lawson, A. (2015), 'Soil Governance: Accessing Cross-disciplinary perspectives", International Journal of Rural Law and Policy, vol.1, (Special issue: Soils Governance), pp:1-8
- Howard, T. (2015), 'The "rules of engagement": A socio-legal framework fr improving community engagement in natural resource governance', Oñati Socio-Legal Series, vol.5, (5), pp: 1209-1235
- Howard, T. (2015), 'Olive branches and idiot's guides: Frameworks for community engagement in Australian wind farm development', Energy Policy, vol.78, pp:137-147
- Howard, T. (2015), 'From international principles to local practices a socio-legal framing of public participation research', Environment, Development and Sustainability, vol.17 (4), pp:747-763
- Alter, T., Driver, A., Frumento, P., Howard, T., Shuffstall, B., and Whitmer, W. (2017). Community engagement for collective action: a handbook for practitioners. Armidale, NSW, Invasive Animals CRC. Available for download: https://www.pestsmart.org.au/community-engagement-collective-action-handbook-practitioners/
- Howard, T. M. (2017). Deadly clash between farmers and conservation. The Saturday Paper. Australia, Schwartz Media. https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/environment/2017/07/15/deadly-clash-between-farmers-and-conservation/15000408004925
- Howard, T.M., Thompson, L.J., Alter, T. & Frumento, P. (2017), 'Community action for wild dog management: Case studies of community action for wild dog management in three Australian jurisdictions', PestSmart publication, Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre, Canberra
- Howard, T. (2014), 'Cotton: part of the social fabric?', 17th Annual Cotton Conference Proceedings, 2014