Frequently Asked Questions

The following FAQs relate to Honorary Associates, and Adjunct & Clinical Appointments.

Any further enquiries can be emailed to

Nomination process

What are the UNE Schools contact details?

School of Arts –

School of Behavioural Cognitive & Social Sciences –

School of Environmental & Rural Science –

School of Science & Technology –

School of Humanities –

UNE Business School –

School of Education –

School of Health –

School of Law –

School of Rural Medicine –

How do I become an Adjunct or Honorary Associate at UNE?

Complete a nomination form as found on this webpage and submit to the appropriate School where your position will sit. The School will complete the form – Head of School must agree to put forward this nomination by signing off on the nomination. The paperwork is sent to Human Resource Services (HRS) on your behalf.

Which levels of appointment may I be nominated for?

UNE appoints Adjunct staff members at Academic Levels from A to E.

Other possible levels of appointment are Honorary Associate, Adjunct Junior Research Fellow (Level A), Adjunct Research Fellow (B) or Adjunct Senior Research Fellow (C).

At Levels D & E, Adjunct staff members may also be appointed as Clinical Associate Professor (D) or Clinical Professor (E).

The level for which you are nominated as an Adjunct staff member is normally made at the level of most recently held academic position.

Can I still hold my appointment if I accept another position at UNE?

Human Resource Services will  cease your honorary appointment where you accept another position with the University as part of due process.

This includes continuing, fixed term and casual positions at UNE.

Can I hold an Honorary position at UNE while employed full time at another university?

While this is possible, the Honorary Appointments Policy states the following:  

"Any publication, research report, curriculum development or teaching outcome arising out of work done at the University by honorary title holders will contain an acknowledgement of the University's support for this work and, in the case of a publication or research report, the author's honorary appointment at the University must also be included where the author's affiliations are listed."

How will I find out whether my nomination for an honorary position has been approved?

A confirmation letter will be emailed to the address you provide to the School on the nomination form. If you are being nominated for a Level D or E adjunct position, your nomination will also be considered by the Provost & Deputy Vice Chancellor.

Why does my outcome letter contain terms and conditions?

All Honorary appointments will be required to sign the terms and conditions agreeing to follow UNE policies (links provided) in the outcome letter and return to HRS before their honorary status is finalised.

Do I have to specify a start date for my honorary appointment?

Yes - HRS will contact the School if this is not confirmed, or if a backdated start date is required.

How long will my paperwork take to process?

All approved nominations will be processed within 10 business days, once submitted to HRS. Nominations for Levels A - C will need to be approved by the Head of School.

Nominations for Levels D and E must also be approved by the Provost & Deputy Vice Chancellor before being sent to HRS, but once HRS has the finalised paperwork there is a 10 business day turnaround.

Do you keep a copy of my paperwork?

HRS will keep a copy of your paperwork as an electronic document. If submitting a nomination renewal, previous paperwork will be helpful for completing the outcomes section of the form – so it is worth keeping a copy in your personal files.

What happens if my nomination is not approved by the School?

It is at the discretion of the Head of School that approved paperwork comes to HRS to be processed. If your nomination has not been approved and progressed, please talk to the Head of School to seek feedback.

What are the possible outcomes for my nomination by the Adjunct  Appointments Committee?

It is at the discretion of the Provost & Deputy Vice Chancellor that approved paperwork at Levels D & E comes to HRS to be processed. If your nomination has not been approved and progressed, please work with the Head of School to seek feedback.

Staff accounts and access

How do I know what my staff number is?

All Honorary appointees are required to return signed terms and conditions before they are provided with a staff number via email.

How do I get access to my email?

If this is your first Honorary appointment with UNE, the School who has nominated you will supply you with a New IT Account Registration Request for staff form – this form needs to be completed and taken to Dixson Library Service Desk, Level 2 in Dixon Library (C31), or submitted via This will give you online access and a @une email address. If you have any queries, please contact IT Service Desk - +61 (2) 6772 5000 or email.

Renewed Honorary appointments should have continued IT access. Any queries once you have had your renewal confirmed by HRS need to be directed to IT Service Desk.

What facilities will I have access to in an Honorary position?

This is dependent upon the resources of the School who has nominated you. Heads of School will ensure that access to UNE facilities is provided at their discretion. If you have certain expectations and requirements for your role, you must discuss this with the School directly to come to an appropriate arrangement.

Extending and ceasing appointment

Can I cease my appointment early, if necessary? 

Yes, HRS at UNE is able to cease an honorary appointment early upon a request by the School where the appointment is held. If you wish to cease your appointment you should contact the appropriate school in the first instance.

If I wish to extend my honorary appointment, what is the procedure?

You will be required to submit nomination renewal paperwork which includes reflection on your previous appointment's achievements. Curriculum Vitae's (CV's) will not be required for a reappointment.

Please note you must have all paperwork submitted to your school well in advance to your appointment end date, avoiding possible issues with email and IT access. Level D and E nominations and renewals note you must allow for time for consideration of this nomination by the Provost & Deputy Vice Chancellor.

When extending my appointment, why do I have to re-do my nomination paperwork?

The Honorary Appointments Rule states that appointments will be offered for between 1 and 5 years - see Clause 24 for an outline of applicable Terms of Appointment.

After this point, appointments need to be renewed so that IT access (including email) will continue. This is also an opportunity at School and University level to reflect upon outcomes and contributions of UNE Adjuncts and Honorary Associates.

What do I do when my honorary appointment is due to cease?

Contact your School – if your appointment is to continue, you will need to complete nomination renewal form, found on the Honorary Appointments web site under Forms and Reports.

Who will inform me if my appointment is not being continued?

If the School does not intend to renew your honorary appointment, they will indicate this to you before the end of your appointment.