The University has in place a number of avenues for assisting students or staff who may have a complaint.

In the first instance, students are requested to contact the Student Grievance Unit.

In the first instance, staff are requested to view the University’s webpage regarding complaints and grievances, which has information about the complaints process and contact details should you wish to talk to someone directly.

Rights of Appeal

Persons who remain dissatisfied at the conclusion of these processes may exercise her or his right of recourse to the NSW Ombudsman.

The contact details for the NSW Ombudsman can be found on the NSW Ombudsman website: