UNE unit code: HIST554
*You are viewing a unit that is offered in 2021. Unit information may be subject to change prior to commencement of the teaching period.
- Not offered in 2021
Intensive schools are either mandatory or voluntary periods of on-site study at our UNE Armidale or Sydney campuses. Please read the unit information for specific details.
There are no intensive schools required for this unit.
A pre-requisite is a unit that you must pass before you will be permitted to enrol in a related or subsequent unit. Most pre-requisite units will contain foundation knowledge which is essential for success in later units. Read more.
A restriction describes a unit that you have already successfully completed, which is considered the equivalent to another unit that you are attempting to enrol in. Depending on the units you have completed previously, you may be exempt from completing subsequent restricted units. Read more.
Please refer to the student handbook for further details on this unit.
Upon completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- critically analyse, from an historical perspective, the concepts of nationalism, imperialism and sovereignty;
- present a coherent and sustained argument demonstrating an advanced body of knowledge of the changing meanings of nation, empire and sovereignty, as ways of belonging, in the Australian context, and to test the capacity of historical perspectives to shed light on developments in contemporary Australian society;
- demonstrate advanced knowledge of recent trends in Australian historiography;
- critically evaluate and reflect on the concepts of race, ethnicity, class and gender in an Australian historical and historiographical context; and
- apply advanced knowledge of research principles and methods in the close reading and analysis of primary sources and secondary authorities.
Register your interest and we'll keep you updated
Why study with us?
I'm grateful to UNE for the opportunities studying has given me, but above all, for making me realise I could actually do it, and giving me a sense of accomplishment.
What happens next?
Got any questions about a course you would like to study? Don’t hesitate to contact us, our Future Student team is standing by to help.
2021 applications are now open. The application process only takes 20 minutes to complete. Don’t delay, apply now!
Your start date is based on the study period you choose to apply for.