Dr Marg Rogers
Lecturer, Early Childhood Education - Faculty of Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences and Education; School of Education
Phone: +61 2 6773 2218
Marg is a Lecturer in the Early Childhood Education team within the School of Education.
In a previous role, she worked as an Educational Partnership Broker, creating partnerships through school, business and community that had a learning outcome for birth to 25 year olds. She also taught at the New England Conservatorium of Music running early childhood music and movement classes. Previously Marg ran a music tuition business 'Moree Music' for 7 years. This included council early intervention contracts, instrumental tuition, early childhood music, movement and language programs, infants and primary school bands with community involvement. Marg has taught in adult education colleges, preschools, childcare, infants, primary and high schools in NSW, Tasmania and the Northern Territory in the creative arts and literacy. Marg is passionate about the effects of movement, dance and music on early childhood development and the impact of wellbeing, family life, nutrition and exercise on children.
Doctor of Philosophy (Examiners: Professor Anne Farrell, Professor Jennifer Sumsion, Doctor Wendy Boyd)
Masters Learning Innovation (Early Childhood)
Graduate Certificate of Language Education (ESL)
Graduate Diploma of Education (Music)
Bachelor of Creative Arts (Music)
Primary English Teaching Association Australia (PETAA)
Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE)
Early Childhood Australia (ECA)
Reviewing and editing
Policies in Future Education (SAGE Journals) (reviewer)
Australian Journal of Education (reviewer)
Oxford University Press (textbooks) (reviewer)
School of Education Research Newsletter (UNE) (assistant editor)
As a consultant, Marg has run workshops, in-services and training sessions for educators and families in a number of education settings.
- Early Childhood
Families, communication, speech development, literacy
Marg's current research interests are about young children's understanding and experiences of deployment within an Australian Defence Force (ADF) family. She is also working on a joint project with Jo Bird on ‘Exploring educators use of technologies in early childhood settings’, and an app project, creating an app for ADF families.
Conference presentations at UNE:
- UNE Postgraduate Research Conference - 2018, Armidale. 'Young children's understanding of parental deployment within an Australian Defence Force (ADF) family'. Awarded Speaker of the Day (Day 2).
- UNE Postgraduate Conference – 2017 ‘Results: What are young children’s experiences of parental deployment within an ADF family?’
- UNE Postgraduate Conference – 2016 ‘Methodology: Listening to children’s voices using Mosaic research'
Other conference presentations:
- OMEP Early Childhood Europe 2018 Prague 'Children’s agency: Digital storytelling in action'
- AARE Australian Association for Researchers in Education 2017 Melbourne 'Resourcing and supporting young children's understandings of parental deployment within an ADF family'
- AARE Australian Association for Researchers in Education 2017 Melbourne 'Exploring educators' perceptions and future visions of technologies in early childhood settings'
- 7th International Early Childhood Art 2017 Bhutan conference ‘Listening to children’s voices through art: Mosaic research
- Early Childhood Australia 2016 Darwin conference ‘Supportive and effective partnerships with families when a parent works away from home’
Grants, Awards and Funding
2017 University of New England School of Education Research Funding within the ePedagogy and eLearning group. ‘App creation as a research output and an eLearning and ePedagogical tool for early childhood’ (Rogers & Bird). Total of grant: $1530.00
2017 University of New England School of Education Research Funding within the ePedagogy and eLearning group. ‘Digital Play Framework (DPF) intervention’ (Bird & Rogers). Total of grant: $1523.82
2016 University of New England School of Education Research Funding within the ePedagogy and eLearning group. ‘Exploring educators use of technologies in early childhood settings’ (Bird & Rogers). Total of grant: $1505.00
2015 University of New England School of Education Research Funding within the Education and Impact on Student Learning group. ‘Linking pre-service education with school expectations’ (Feez, Fussell, Porter & Baber [Rogers]). Total of grant: $1968.63
Rogers, M., Roberts, R., Donald, T., & Bird, J. (2018). Waiting for Daddy: Rose's story (Version 1.1). [Mobile application software]. Apple Store: Apple Incorporated. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roses-story/id1439753804?ls=1&mt=8
Rogers, M. (2018). Waiting for Daddy: Rose's story (M. Fussell Ed.). Canberra, Australia: Defence Community Organisation, Department of Defence. http://www.defence.gov.au/DCO/_Master/documents/Books/Roses-Story.pdf
- 'Waiting for Daddy', 'Now that I am big' and 'Liam's story' are research-based storybooks for young children, with research information in the back for parents, educators and family workers. It was produced from research data and findings as part of a PhD study entitled 'Young children's experiences and understandings of parental deployment within an Australian Defence Force family'. The eBook is available free to parents, children, educators and family workers in partnership with the Defence Community Organisation and the Department of Defence in the hope to make research accessible to the public and create impact from research.
Rogers, M. (2018). Now that I am big: Anthony's story (M. Fussell Ed.). Canberra, Australia: Defence Community Organisation, Department of Defence. http://www.defence.gov.au/DCO/_Master/documents/Books/Anthonys-Story.pdf
Bird, J., & Rogers, M. (2018). Utilising the digital play framework to support early childhood educators and children’s learning. School of Education Research Newsletter, 2, 2-5. https://www.une.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/229192/Volume-2-Issue-2.pdf
Rogers, M. (2018). Listening to children’s voices through art: Communicating experiences and understandings in Mosaic research. International Art in Early Childhood Research Journal, 1(1), 1-19. http://artinearlychildhood.org/journals/2018/ARTEC_2018_Research_Journal_1_Article_5_Roger.pdf
Rogers, M. (2017). Empowering children through the creative arts: Is it possible to access the voice of 2-5 year olds? Linking research to the practice of education, 1, 2-3. https://www.une.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/172003/soe_newsletterv1.2.pdf
Rogers-Baber, M. (2017). Protective factors in families: Themes from a socio-ecological study of Australian Defence Force families experiencing parental deployment. SAGE Open Access, 7(2). doi:10.1177/2158244017706711. Available from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2158244017706711
Baber, M. (2016). Narrative, Acculturation and Ritual: Themes from a Socio-ecological Study of Australian Defence Force Families Experiencing Parental Deployment. Children Australia, 41(2), 141-153. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/cha.2016.8
Baber, M., Fussell, M., & Porter, K. (2015). Liam's story: So why do I wear Dad's medals? (S. Feez Ed.). Mt. Victoria, Australia: Pademelon Press. ISBN 9781876138431. https://www.pademelonpress.com.au/liam-s-story-so-why-do-i-wear-dad-s-medals.html
2018 Music, dance and movement classes for the Transition class at Drummond Primary School including refugee children
2017 Drum Sergeant and Committee member, Armidale Pipe Band
2012-2017 Tenor drummer, Armidale Pipe Band
2014-16 Board Member, Armidale and District Family Day Care
2003-2010 Director and Conductor, managing volunteer parents and community members, event management, arranging music, resourcing, fundraising, writing grant applications, Moree Public School and Community Band
2002-04 President Parents and Friends, Grace Lutheran Preschool Moree
2004 State Representative for conferences, P&C Moree Primary School
2004 Member, Moree Bursary Committee (Music)
2003 Public Officer - Management Committee, Grace Lutheran Preschool
2000 Committee Member, Tennant Creek Toy Library
1999-2000 Craft and Social Coordinator, Tennant Creek Playgroup