Regulatory Science

Use your scientific thinking to investigate and adjudicate on controversies in science.

Regulatory scientists are required to make risk-informed and evidence-based decisions, whenever new drugs, medical devices, pesticides, genetically modified organisms, foods, veterinary medicines and fine chemicals have been developed for the market. These decisions are often made in the context of uncertainty and sometimes conflict over the public availability of these goods and the risks that they might pose, in a complex environment.


Regulatory scientists critically review current scientific knowledge, and assess the potential health, safety and environmental risks to human and natural systems of pre-market and post-market products and activities. The best available scientific evidence on which they rely to make their decisions can be subject to many controversies, as can be the processes that are used. There are many technological and market innovations that will increasingly challenge and politicise their decision making.


Both the Graduate Certificate in Science (Regulatory Science) and Graduate Diploma in Science (Regulatory Science) focus on the key challenges for regulatory scientists.

The core subject areas include policy and risk assessment, critical legal issues, and data analysis. The courses also involve a three-week work placement in a Regulatory agency. These interdisciplinary programs are taught by staff from several UNE Schools:

And delivered in collaboration with Australian Regulatory agencies.

A science qualification (Bachelor to Doctoral) is required for admission to these programs.

The Master of Science (Regulatory Science), Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Industries and Professions research projects can also
be undertaken to resolve regulatory science uncertainties and controversies. UNE researchers and regulatory scientists at the agencies jointly supervise these projects.

Pill bottles


For further information about Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma in Science (Regulatory Science), please contact the Course Coordinator

For general and administrative enquiries, AskUNE.