Media & Communications

Interested in digital media, advertising, news, the television industry, national and international film, documentaries, rhetoric and public affairs, publishing and editing?

Our courses prepare you for work in the industry.

Our staff have either worked in the industry for years, or have years of researching experience in the field.

Our on-campus classes and lectures encourage constructive interaction with staff and fellow students. Our online study program is outstanding, with comprehensive materials and support from staff who are skilled and experienced in online teaching.

You'll also have the opportunity to take part in our Work Integrated Learning Program by enrolling in a WORK300 or WORK500 unit. You'll get to apply your academic knowledge and develop professional skills relevant to your course of study — and improve your employability.

Undergraduate and postgraduate study

There are a range of options available. Specialise in the field by choosing the Bachelor of Media and Communications. Alternatively you could choose a media and communications major as part of a Bachelor of Arts. Study on campus in Armidale or fully online in your own home, or abroad.

Students who have completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Screen at the New England Institute of TAFE, Armidale, may articulate with advanced standing to the Bachelor of Media and Communications, majoring in Film and Television Production.

Looking to do an Media and Communications major? The undergraduate courses listed below link to the Course and Unit Catalogue. From there go to Course Rules and Plans, then scroll down to Program of Study.

Honours and postgraduate courses

Further course options for studying English Literature

Study English Literature with honours or at postgraduate levels in coursework or research programs.

Bachelor Honours

Bachelor of Arts with Honours

Find out about Honours

Postgraduate coursework

Master of Arts

Postgraduate research

Master of Philosophy

Doctor of Philosophy

Find out about Higher Degree Research


The following is a general list of the units from the School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences that contribute to the media and communications area. Please note that more specific information about the unit requirements for particular courses and majors is available on the Course and Unit Catalogue.

Introductory level units

These units are offered every year:

  • COMM101 Screen Media
  • COMM102 Media Convergence and Culture
  • COMM103 Creative Industries and Communications
  • WRIT101 The Craft of Academic Writing
  • WRIT102 Storytelling and Genre Writing

Advanced level units

Undergraduate units here are at the 300 level; postgraduate units are at the 500 level.

Normally, each unit on this list is offered once every two years. This arrangement allows us to offer a wider range of units overall.

Project-based units

that may count towards media and communications, with staff approval

  • ARTS301 Research and Professional Practice
  • ARTS302 Research and Professional Practice II
  • ARTS501 Arts Research and Professional Practice
  • ARTS502 Dissertation Unit
  • WORK300 Work Integrated Learning - Professional Skills Development
  • WORK500 Work Integrated Learning - Professional Skills Development
Our staff

To contact an academic or find a research supervisor, view our staff page.

Find a staff member

Career options for graduates

Media and Communications graduates have skills in dynamic and flexible thinking, with knowledge to contribute across a large range of careers including:

  • arts administration
  • advertising
  • blogging
  • broadcasting
  • civil service
  • communications
  • creative writing
  • editing
  • journalism
  • market research
  • policy work
  • production
  • public relations
  • publishing
  • social media management
  • teaching
  • technical writing
  • television writing.

Partnerships and networks

Media and Communications staff in our School partner and network with the:

Further information

For more information about our courses and studying at UNE, please contact AskUNE.