Visa and Fees

2020 International Course Fees

2020 International Course Fees

  • Fees quoted cover full-time tuition for two full-time trimesters only.
  • All fees are quoted in Australian (AUD) dollars.
  • Not all courses listed are available on campus.
  • Those with no CRICOS code are offered online.
  • Students studying online are not eligible to study in Australia on a student visa.
  • Further information on each course can be found in the Course and Unit Catalogue.
Visa Conditions

International students in Australia are required to observe certain conditions. It is very important that you understand what your visa entitles you to do, and what you are not permitted to do. In some circumstances, the University is required to report breaches of Student Visa conditions to the Department of Home Affairs. All International students should take the time to look at the Department of Home Affairs website which provides information on the conditions of Student Visas, as well as forms and other information. The main points students need to be aware of are summarised on this page.

Bringing Family

Most student visas allow you to bring your family members to Australia as your dependants if you are:

  • Eligible for Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP)
  • Assessment level 1 or 2
  • Assessment level 3 or 4 and your course is longer than 12 months. If the duration of your course is less than 52 weeks,  your family members are eligible to accompany you to Australia provided that:
  • Your  nominated course (if you are applying for another student visa) or your current  course (if you are a student visa holder) is the same course as, or a  continuation of, the course that was associated with your previous student visa  and the total duration of the course or courses as registered on CRICOS is 52  weeks or more, or
  • You  have been in Australia lawfully for 12 months or more.
  • For more information visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.
Changing Courses or Education Providers

Changing courses

If you want to change to a new course at the same level of qualification, you do not need to apply for a new student visa unless your current visa is about to expire.

Changing level of qualification

If you want to change your level of qualification, you will need to apply for a new student visa because your visa subclass will change. Example: You want to change from a Master of Commerce to a PhD.

Changing education provider

If you want to change provider before completing the first six months of your main course of study you must contact UNE for permission. You will require a letter of offer from the new provider in order to apply for a letter of release from UNE.

If you change your education provider at any time you must contact the Department of Home Affairs and provide a Confirmation of Enrolment from your new education provider.

Changing courses and/or education provider if you are eligible for streamlined visa processing

Your eligibility for streamlined visa processing may be affected if you change your course(s) of study before a decision had been made on your visa application.

Health Insurance

You must have health insurance while in Australia. Health insurance can be provided by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.

In most cases UNE will organise OSHC for you, but you can select an approved OSHC provider yourself and pay the insurance.

If you are studying at more than one educational provider and both are arranging OSHC, you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately.

If you have a child born after your arrival in Australia, and you only have a single OSHC policy you must change that to a family policy. If family members join you after your arrival in Australia they will have to demonstrate that they have an OSHC policy for the duration of their visas.

Work Conditions for Student Visa Holders

You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

  • Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.
  • If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight if it:
    • is of benefit to the community
    • is for a non-profit organisation
    • would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
    • is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received—board and lodging acceptable).
  • If you are a research student and you have commenced your masters by research or PhD in Australia, there is no limit on the number of hours you may work.
  • You can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during any preliminary courses you undertake prior to commencing your masters by research or PhD.

Dependent family members

  • must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced the course in Australia
  • can work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times unless the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctoral degree. In this case there is no limit on the number of hours a dependent family member may work.

The Australian Government Department of Home Affairs consider your course to be 'in session'

  • for the duration of the advertised trimesters, including examination periods
  • if you have completed your studies and your Confirmation of Enrolment is still valid  (with the exception of masters by research or PhD students who have submitted their thesis for marking)
  • when you are undertaking another course, during a break from your main course and points from that course will be credited to your main course.
Fees and Charges for Visas

For a full list of visa fees, including how to pay, visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.