Study Abroad for Overseas Students FAQs

How to Apply

To apply for the UNE Study Abroad program, please complete the application form, making sure that you list the units you wish to study and don't forget to include your home University transcript.

What is the accommodation like?

UNE has a comprehensive and inexpensive on-campus residential system including fully catered colleges (residence halls) as well as shared self-catering flats (Wright Village). It is recommended that you apply early for accommodation (at least two to three months ahead of your arrival) to avoid disappointment. You can only apply for UNE accommodation online and this can be done once UNE has approved your study application. You can also use the same link to check the progress of your application.

Where can I find information on units offered at UNE?

UNE offers a broad range of subjects through our Schools:

A complete list of UNE units can be found on the Course and Unit Catalogue website. Please note that as a condition of your student visa, you must enrol in at least three on-campus units each trimester. Also be sure to check whether the unit is offered on-campus or off-campus (units which are offered by distance education, not in a classroom).

What are the application deadlines?

As a guide, applications for Trimester 1 (February-June) should be submitted by the end of December of the previous year and applications for Trimester 2 (June-October) should be submitted by the end of May. Late applications will be considered wherever possible.

When should I arrive at UNE?

We advise that you arrive a couple of days before International Student Orientation at the beginning of each trimester. This enables you to settle into your accommodation and gives you the chance to begin exploring Armidale and the University campus.

More information on orientation, trimester dates, holiday breaks and Australian public holidays can be found through the UNE Principal Dates website.

How do I get to Armidale?

Information on arriving in Armidale can be found on the main UNE International web page. Our Pre-departure information section provides further guidance to international students travelling to Australia.

What costs are involved?

Study Abroad fees are AUD9,000 for each trimester of study. In addition to this, you will need to pay for a student visa, compulsory health insurance - Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC), travel and accommodation. The OSHC fee must be sent to UNE International at the time you accept your offer to study here.

Do I have to buy health insurance even if I am insured at home?

Yes. The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires all overseas students in Australia to purchase health cover, and this is a mandatory condition of your student visa. UNE currently works with BUPA for Overseas Student Health Cover, and you are required to pay for your insurance when you accept your offer to study at UNE. Information on what is covered by BUPA can be found here. We strongly recommend that you also buy your own additional comprehensive travel insurance.

Where can I find information on applying for a student visa?

For a comprehensive overview of the Australian student visa process, please go to the Australian Department of Home Affairs - Immigration and Citizenship website.

Contact details

Prospective international students:

AskUNE - Search for information or ask a question 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Contact the UNE International team

Current international students:

AskUNE - Find answers to your questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Contact - Contact staff directly via AskUNE.