Courses for International Students

If you're not sure what course you want to study, you can browse our study areas, search our course and unit catalogue or ask a question.

International students should read this information in conjunction with the discipline specific brochures as course offerings can be different to those available to domestic students.

For more information, you can check out the Non-Award Accounting and Law units for international students via distance education web page.

Distance Education

The University of New England offers an extensive range of distance education programs via off-campus study to students in their home country. It should also be noted that full-time International Students studying in Australia on a student visa are not permitted to study via distance education mode.

Distance programs offer flexible learning to students through comprehensive course materials, online learning and regular access to teaching staff via telephone, e-mail, and online discussion groups. Students interested in off-campus courses should note that compulsory residential schools (held on-campus at UNE in Armidale, Australia) may form part of their course assessment. Courses with compulsory residential schools are noted.

Practical work may also form part of students' course assessment (especially for teaching and agriculture/rural science programs). In some cases this can be completed in the student's home country, but students need approval for this before enrolling in a course. Please see the UNE website or contact UNE International via askUNE for further information.


The duration of distance courses is based on studying full-time at normal progression rates which is equivalent to 8 units each year. Students who study by distance education can do so in their own time so it may be that these students will only study 2 or 4 units each year.

Research by Distance Education

Research courses at UNE (including Doctor of Philosophy and Masters by Research) may require candidates to undertake either compulsory residential schools or face-to-face consultation with a supervisor (both held on-campus at UNE in Armidale, Australia). Requirements for residential schools or face-to-face contact are different for every research degree - candidates should take this into account when selecting individual units of study.

Research candidates who are studying off-campus may also need to provide evidence that they have sufficient access to resources, research facilities and on-site supervision.