UNE Student Exchange and Overseas FAQs

When can I study overseas?

You must have completed and received final marks for at least one year of full-time study (8 units) before you apply. Exchanges usually work best in the middle of your degree while you still have flexibility in choosing the units you need to graduate. Some Schools may have regulations about when you can go, so please speak to your Course Coordinator for details.

Will I get credit for my overseas study?

In most cases you will be eligible to gain credit for your overseas study but before you go you will need to:

  1. discuss the units you propose to take with your course coordinator and the advanced standing staff in Student Central, and
  2. have them confirm in writing that the proposed units will be counted towards your degree

NOTE: It is recommended that you seek general approval for an exchange from your course coordinator early in the process, to learn of any possible restrictions or regulations you may need to abide by and in case an exchange may not be feasible for your program.

What marks do I need to achieve to be eligible?

You must have good academic standing, especially in your most recent trimesters. It is typically expected that you will have achieved mostly credits, or better, and to have not failed any units at all within your academic program.

Can external, post-graduate or international students apply?

Yes, external students are certainly eligible; you simply need to enrol as full-time internal students during the overseas exchange trimester. UNE's exchanges are for undergraduates; exchange options for postgraduate students are limited. Please contact UNE International to investigate the possibilities in more detail.

International students can apply for exchanges to a third country but your eligibility and participation is subject to the Department of Home Affairs regulations. Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for specific information for your country and then contact UNE International.

What scholarships and loans are available for overseas study?


There are sometimes a limited number of New Colombo Plan (NCP) and Endeavour Mobility Program subsidies/grants available to specific destinations.  More information can be obtained from UNE International.  
Note that UNE Exchange Scholarships are no longer being offered.

OS-Help Loans

The Australian Government, through the Department of Education and Training provides OS-Help Loans to encourage and assist Australian students to study overseas. Loans of up to AUD 6,362 per trimester are available with a maximum limit of two loans. Higher loans are available for students going to Asia of up to AUD 7,635, which can also include a language supplement of up to AUD 1,018. More information can be found on the Department of Education's website: Study Overseas. This website outlines the criteria of eligibility.

Further information regarding OS-HELP Loan Applications through UNE can be found on the UNE OS-Help Loan Procedure web page.

Please Note: You must be an Australian Citizen, enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) award, have completed 8 units of study in your degree, and must have 1 unit to complete at UNE when you return from overseas to meet the eligibility requirements for an OS-HELP Loan.

Can I still receive Austudy or Youth Allowance?

If you are currently receiving Austudy or Youth Allowance, this payment should continue for the duration of your exchange as long as the overseas study will be credited towards your UNE degree (this does not include Rent Assistance). Please check with Centrelink in advance for any specific advice on payments. If you are accepted for an exchange, please ask UNE International for a letter of confirmation, which you will need to give to your Centrelink office before you leave Australia.

Please Note: Centrelink asks that you contact them no more than 14 days before your departure to confirm your date of departure and your estimated date of return. Please note that if you do not contact the office with your travel details, there may be difficulty in processing your payments.

I am studying the Bachelor of Languages or the Bachelor of Languages and International Business – what do I do?

The School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences and UNE International jointly manage language exchanges with universities in Japan, China, France, Austria, Italy and Germany. If you plan to study overseas language study (OSLS) units overseas, please apply for your program through the School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.

The School has its own procedures and deadlines for approving students for exchanges involving OSLS units. Please check the School's website for the relevant academic staff member for details on applying for these programs.

If you are studying the Bachelor of Languages and International Business degree, you will need to consult your course coordinator and also the unit coordinator for details about your Overseas Work Placement (OSWP).

I can only speak English - where can I study?

UNE has partnerships with Universities in England, Canada, the USA and Hong Kong, as well as some options for certain fields of study (especially business or arts) offered in English in Germany, Denmark and Austria. Check online for university and subject options.

Please note that spaces at some partner universities are limited. In particular, students applying to US universities are advised to research and apply for both a first and second option for their exchange; further details are included on the application form.

How do I pay for my tuition while on exchange?

As an exchange student you must enrol in specific exchange units (24cps) through the Student Central and pay for your tuition to UNE as you would in any trimester. You do not pay any tuition to the overseas university.

What other costs may be involved?

You will need to pay for your accommodation at the overseas university and often some minor expenses like sports fees, internet/phone connections etc. You are required to pay for travel insurance, travel costs, a student visa for most countries, a passport if you don't have one and textbooks.

Please note that US universities require a financial statement demonstrating sufficient funds for the exchange; there is also a SEVIS fee required for all students applying for US student visas.

How much does accommodation cost overseas?

Prices vary and full details are available on the University websites. Costs are sometimes subsidised by governments, in parts of Europe and Asia.

How do I apply for an exchange?

  1. Contact the Study Abroad & Exchange Officer at UNE International about your interest in an exchange program well in advance of application deadlines, and then select a university that suits you best.
  2. Ensure that you meet the established criteria of both UNE International and your faculty/course coordinator, for an exchange program before proceeding with an application. Application forms are available through UNE International or you can download a copy from the website.
  3. Ensure that you will have sufficient funds to cover the expenses you expect to incur during your exchange program (particularly the cost of accommodation). If you are applying for an exchange to the US, please be prepared to submit a financial/bank statement, your own, or your family's if they agree in writing to support you - along with your application. As noted above, scholarships and loans may be available to you to assist with costs.
  4. Select potential overseas units, including several alternatives, with advice from your course coordinator at UNE. Ask for general confirmation that the units would be appropriate for your degree and that advanced standing will be granted. You must then take details of your proposed units, and an advanced standing form to the Student Central to be formally assessed for Advanced standing. Note: You must choose possible units and begin discussions with your faculty and the Student Central before submitting your exchange application however your advanced standing does not have to be finalised before you submit your application.
  5. OSLS Students need to discuss study options with their Language Coordinator.
  6. Complete the exchange application and return it with the documentation listed in the application checklist.

How do I apply for a student visa?

Student visa requirements for Australian citizens to study overseas vary from country to country.  Be sure to check with the relevant embassy for up to date rules and application procedures, as these are subject to change.

Do I need travel and health insurance?

Yes! UNE policy requires you to carry appropriate insurance for the duration of your exchange. We recommend that you buy a comprehensive travel insurance policy that includes unlimited (or a very high level of) medical coverage as well as coverage for repatriation and medical evacuation in cases of emergency.

You must show proof that you have purchased such a policy before you leave on your exchange program. OSLS students are required to provide a copy of your insurance to the academic staff in charge of your exchange program in the School of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences. All other exchange students are required to provide a copy to the Study Abroad & Exchange Officer at UNE International. Many of our partners, as well as some overseas immigration departments, also require proof of insurance for incoming international students.

  1. Our American exchange partners typically offer their own university insurance policy that you may choose to purchase. However, most of them will agree to allow you to buy your own policy from Australia, provided that it meets their basic requirements and also those of the US immigration services. Check online for current minimum insurance requirements for exchange students going to the US, as stated by the US Department of State (costs are listed in US dollars).
  2. Germany and Austria have their own insurance for international students and it has been reported that Germany has required female students to purchase a German Insurance Policy in addition to the one purchased in Australia. If you choose to purchase an insurance policy in-country, please ensure that you have travel insurance for travel to and from the country and for a week overlap.
  3. Most of our exchange partners in other countries will allow you to choose your own insurance policy and coverage. In some cases you will need to show proof of the insurance to the partner university on arrival and also to immigration authorities in order to apply for your visa.

What are the deadlines for applications?

  • 31 January for exchanges beginning in Trimester 2 the same year
  • 30 June for exchanges beginning in Trimester 1 the following year

Remember that the northern hemisphere works on a different timetable for an academic year. First semester can begin in September and go through to December or even February and second semester can start in January or February and finish in May or June. There are variations on this in each country e.g. 3 terms rather than 2 semesters, and you should carefully check this. Generally the northern hemisphere summer break runs from June to the end of August.