Admission Information

Admission process

Admission to UNE involves steps as set out below. These steps assist applicants through the various stages of the admission process. If applicants have any questions at any stage during the process they should contact UNE International for assistance.

Step 1
All international students applying to study a coursework program at UNE must complete the online admission application.

All International students applying to study a Higher Degree by Research, such as a PhD, must complete the International HDR Candidature Application Form. For more information, visit the How to Apply for Postgraduate Research Courses web page.

Applicants who wish to apply through one of UNE's authorised agents can locate their nearest agent by visiting the Our Agents web page.

Applicants should ensure that they attach certified copies of transcripts of all relevant previous studies including proof of completion; photo page from passport or other birth record; and evidence of English language proficiency and any other documentation requested in the online form.

If documents are in a language other than English, an officially certified English translation of each document must be provided together with certified copies of the original documents.

Step 2
UNE will assess the completed application. If the application is academically successful, a conditional or unconditional Offer of Admission will be issued.

Applicants from certain countries must undergo an additional assessment to determine they meet Genuine Student (GS), Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) and financial evidence requirements.

Their Offer of Admission will be conditional upon successfully completing the GTE assessment and they must complete an additional International Student Application for GTE and submit further documentation required by this form. UNE will notify applicants if they have met the GTE condition or not. Applicants must not pay any tuition fees prior to receiving formal, written advice that they have successfully passed the GTE assessment.

The University will advise students in writing if their application is unsuccessful.

Step 3
When UNE International receives the completed offer acceptance documents and the required tuition fees from students intending to study on campus, it will process the payment and issue the Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). The COE is the form required to apply for a student visa from an Australian Embassy, High Commission or the Department of Home Affairs as appropriate. Students must obtain a student visa before they come to study full-time in Australia.

Information on obtaining a student visa is available online at the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.

For students intending to study by distance education, UNE International will, upon receiving the completed Offer Acceptance Form and the required tuition fees, process the payment and issue information about online enrolment in UNE units.

Step 4
Upon being granted their student visa, students intending to study on-campus should make travel arrangements including applying on-line for accommodation.

Students should advise International Services of their travel arrangements and request airport or railway station reception.

Step 5
After arriving in Armidale, on-campus students should arrive and attend the International Student Orientation and Enrolment after which they will commence their formal course at UNE.

Certified documents

UNE requires that all documents submitted with an application are certified copies. A certified copy is a photocopy of an original document, which has been certified as a true copy of the original by an authorised person (see list below).

To get a document certified:

  • Make a photocopy of the original document
  • Take the original and the copy to an authorised person
  • The certified copy must include a statement, something like 'I certify that this is a true copy of the original document'. The certifier must also include their full name, signature, date, registration number (if any) and qualification or occupation which makes them eligible to certify documents, on each of the photocopied documents.

Ensure that the certification does not obscure any of the text on the copy.

Persons authorised to sign certified documents include:

  • Justice of the peace or bail justice
  • Public Notary
  • Barrister and solicitor
  • Registrar or deputy registrar of a court of law
  • A member of the police force
  • A registered medical practitioner, dentist or veterinary practitioner
  • A pharmacist
  • A manager of a bank.
Trimester entry

The academic year at UNE is divided into three trimesters. Many undergraduate and postgraduate coursework programs are available for commencing students in either Trimester 1 or 2. Only a very limited number of courses (such as the Master of Nursing Practice) are offered to commencing students in Trimester 3.

  • Trimester 1 — February to June
  • Trimester 2 — June to October
  • Trimester 3 — October to February
Application dates

As a guide, applications for Trimester 1 (February-June) should be submitted by the end of November of the previous year.

Applications for Trimester 2 (June-October) should be submitted by the end of May.

Late applications may be considered wherever possible.

Obtaining a student visa

International students intending to study full-time on-campus at UNE will need to obtain a student visa.

The Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website has comprehensive information on applying for a student visa to study in Australia, including application forms. Please note that student visas granted to International Students for their study in Australia have conditions attached. These are outlined in detail on the Department of Home Affairs website and students' obligations are also outlined in the International Offer Letter issued with the Offer of Admission.

Students should regularly check the Department of Home Affairs website for updated information and changes to legislation and processing arrangements affecting their intention to study in Australia on a student visa.

Visit Visa and Fees for more information.

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Assessment

In order to maintain the lowest (positive) possible Immigration Risk Rating (IRR) under the Australian Department of Home Affairs Streamlined Student Visa Framework (SSVF), some prospective students applying for admission to the University of New England are required to undergo Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) assessment in addition to meeting the University’s academic and English proficiency requirements.

GTE assessment includes determining whether a potential student is a Genuine Student (GS); whether they are a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) and whether they have the documented financial capacity to fund their living and studies in Australia according to the Department of Home Affairs guidelines.

Further information about this assessment process is outlined in the Admission Process.

Students under 18 years old

Australian Law requires international students under 18 years of age to appoint a guardian while they are in Australia prior to being issued with a Student Visa. UNE does not accept students under 18 years of age unless they provide evidence of acceptable guardianship when they complete and return their acceptance documents.

Further information regarding the visa processing requirements for students under 18 is located on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Tuition fees

Annual course fees only cover the cost of tuition. They do not include other expenses associated with university study such as books, accommodation and living expenses. For students successful in gaining admission to study at UNE, the Offer of Admission will list the exact tuition fees a student is required to pay to accept the offer.

The Offer of Admission will also list other fees payable including compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover for on campus students.

Tuition protection service (TPS)

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an Australian Government initiative to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The aim of this protection is to ensure that students receive the tuition they have paid for or, as a last resort, a refund of unspent tuition fees.

The legislation sets out what happens when an education provider or an international student defaults (i.e., when a provider fails to start or finish providing a course to a student, or a student fails to start or finish a course with a provider). The TPS provides a flexible and streamlined approach to student placement and refund arrangements in the event a defaulting provider does not meet its refund obligations under the ESOS Act. Students will be given an active role in selecting a suitable placement options through an online information service. Where a student does not access a placement through the placement facility provided by the TPS Director, the student may be eligible for a refund of their unspent tuition fees from the TPS Director. Students will be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of any prepaid tuition fees (i.e. tuition for which you have paid but which has not yet been delivered) rather than a full refund, in recognition of the fact that you may obtain credit for the study already completed.

TPS legislation also limits the collection of pre-paid course fees to no more than one study period in advance, and also limits the initial deposit for commencing students to no more than 50% of their total course fee where the course is more than 24 weeks in duration.

Refund of tuition fees policy

The University of New England's refund of tuition fees policy is based upon and is in accordance with the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students (the National Code), the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act 2000) and Education Services for Overseas Student Regulations 2001 (ESOS Regulations 2001). This policy applies to all international students studying on-campus or by distance regardless of the person actually paying the fees.

  1. The term 'start date' refers to one of the following:
    • The first day of lectures as listed in the annual UNE Handbook
    • Principle Dates OR
    • The first day a student commences their Masters by Research candidature OR
    • The first day a student commences their PhD candidature OR
    • The first day an English Language Centre student commences their English language course.
  2. The term 'annual tuition fee' is the tuition fee payable for an international student's degree, certificate or diploma course over a one-year period.
  3. This agreement does not remove a student's right to take further action under Australia's consumer protection laws. The University of New England's dispute resolution processes do not prevent a student from seeking other legal remedies.
  4. If a student seeks a refund, they must inform the International Precinct in writing; this can be via posted letter, fax or by e-mail. They must include the following information in their request:
    1. Full name;
    2. UNE student number;
    3. The formal name of the course which they wish to withdraw from;
    4. The date the course started; and
    5. The date the student withdrew from the course.
  5. The amount a student is to be refunded depends on when they notify the International Precinct of their request for a refund as follows:
    1. If a student notifies the UNE International Precinct of their withdrawal more than four (4)weeks before the start date, 90% of the annual tuition fee paid will be refunded.
    2. If a student notifies the UNE International Precinct of their withdrawal less than four (4) weeks before the start date, 50% of the annual tuition fee paid will be refunded.
    3. If a student notifies the UNE International Precinct of their withdrawal up to four (4) weeks after the start date, 50% of the annual tuition fee paid will be refunded.
    4. If a student notifies the UNE International Precinct of their withdrawal more than four (4) weeks after the start date, there will be no refund of the annual tuition fee paid.
  6. If a student fails to obtain a Student Visa to study at UNE, the University will refund 100% of the annual tuition fees paid.
  7. Refunds to International Students will be paid within four (4) weeks after the UNE International Precinct receives a student's written request for a refund. All refunds will be paid to the person who originally paid the tuition fees. Refunds will be reimbursed in the same currency as the fees were originally paid and will be made in the student's home country except in exceptional circumstances.
  8. In the event that an Offer of Admission is withdrawn by the University or it is unable to provide the course, all tuition fees paid are fully refundable, unless the offer was made on the basis of incorrect or incomplete information being supplied by the applicant or the student.
  9. In the event that an international student who has already paid tuition fees applicable to international students for a given semester, is granted Permanent Resident status in Australia, a total refund of these fees will be paid less any agent fee, if the student has:
    1. obtained Permanent Resident status by the census date for that semester
    2. been enrolled by the University as a Commonwealth Supported Student under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 or
    3. has made arrangements with the University to pay fees as a domestic (non-international) student.
  10. Overseas Student Health Cover is refundable only if a student withdraws from their course before the start date of the course and before registering for the Health Cover Card.
Advanced standing

To apply for advanced standing (credit for previous study) please follow the steps on the Advanced Standing page.

Applications for Advanced Standing must be accompanied by certified copies of transcripts as well as full unit descriptions/syllabus for each unit.

The University's policy on Advanced Standing is located on the Policies web page.

Overseas student Health Cover (OSHC)

On-campus International students and their dependants are required to purchase private health insurance for the duration of their study in Australia as a condition of their student visa, for further information regarding OSHC conditions please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website. UNE currently has a Preferred Provider Agreement with Bupa Australia OSHC to facilitate the provision of OSHC for International students.

Bupa Australia OSHC pays the cost of most medical and hospital treatments students may require while studying in Australia. For further information regarding the current cost of Overseas Student Health Cover and information regarding what is covered please refer to the BUPA website.

Please note that OSHC for on-campus students and all dependants must be arranged prior to the student visa being granted.