Dr E. Joy Bowles
Research Assistant - Faculty of Medicine and Health; School of Rural Medicine
Phone: +61 2 6773 3721
Dr Bowles has a Bachelor of Science and Honours from Macquarie University, majoring in Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry, and a PhD from Southern Cross University, awarded in 2007, investigating the potential for essential oils to improve cognitive function in dementia. Her research interests include Primary Health Care quality improvement; Chronic Disease Management; Rural Health; Telehealth; Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM). Her publications include ‘The Chemistry of Aromatherapeutic Essential Oils’ (Allen & Unwin, 2003).
Dr Bowles has been employed as a Research Assistant in the School of Rural Medicine in various projects since 2015. She worked on the Telehealth Skills Training and Implementation Evaluation project, with A/Prof Michelle Guppy from 2013-2015, and was Project Coordinator, ‘Keeping my place in the community: achieving aging-in-place for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities’, ARC-funded project, 2015-2017. During 2016-2017 she worked on a rural registry and chronic care model for chronic kidney disease and diabetes, with A/Prof Michelle Guppy, whom she is now working with again, assisting with qualitative analyses of GP interviews.
PhD, BSc (Hons), Grad Dip Env Ed
Primary Health Care quality improvement; Chronic Disease Management; Rural Health; Telehealth; Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM); Aromatherapy and essential oil science.
- A regional diabetes database improves Type 2 diabetes outcomes in general practice Regional Universities Network conference, Rockhampton, 2016.
- Sustainability of diabetes management in general practice (poster) March 2016, Joy Bowles, Michelle Guppy
- Supporting participation: Facilitating inclusion of rural Australians aging with intellectual disabilities in research using validated survey tools Joy Bowles, Rafat Hussain, Stuart Wark, M. Janicki, Jan 2016 Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 60:642
- Rational phytotherapy — A physician's guide to herbal medicine
E. Joy Bowles
International Journal of Aromatherapy 12/2001; 11(4):229-230. DOI:10.1016/S0962-4562(01)80042-4
- Effects of essential oils and touch on resistance to nursing care procedures and other dementia-related behaviours in a residential care facility
E. Joy Bowles, Dilys M Griffiths, Letitia Quirk, Anne Brownrigg, Karen Croot
International Journal of Aromatherapy 01/2002; 12(1):22-29. DOI:10.1054/ijar.2001.0128
- A survey of aromatherapy practices in aged care facilities in northern NSW, Australia
E Joy Bowles, Philip Cheras, John Stevens, Stephen P Myers
International Journal of Aromatherapy 01/2005; 15(1). DOI:10.1016/j.ijat.2004.09.012
- Evaluation of a Memory Assessment Program, Dementia Collaborative Research Council conference, 21-22 September 2013, conference proceedings.