Mr Ben Livings
Senior Lecturer - School of Law
Phone: +61 6773 3701
I joined UNE School of Law in 2014 after having taught criminal law at law schools in the UK and France. Criminal law is my primary research and teaching interest and I also have interests in evidence, sports law and medical law.
BA (Hons), PG Dip Law, PG Dip Legal Practice, LL.M, Certificate of Teaching and Learning in HE
Unit co-ordinator for Criminal Law (LAW161)
Unit co-ordinator for Criminal Process, Punishment and Sentencing (LAW315)
Research InterestsCriminal law, evidence, sports law and medical law
- Gledhill, K & Livings, B (eds) Criminal Law: The Pedagogical Imperatives (Routledge 2016)
- Livings, B, Reed, A & Wake, N Mental Condition Defences and the Criminal Justice System: Perspectives from Law and Medicine (Cambridge Scholars Publishing 2015)
- Sarma, K & Livings, B (eds) Evil and the State: Inter-Disciplinary Perspectives (Inter-Disciplinary Press 2013)
- Livings, B ‘Cases and Context’ in Gledhill, K & Livings, B (eds) Criminal Law: The Pedagogical Imperatives (Routledge 2016)
- Livings, B ‘Private Austhorisation and Public Censure’ in Ashford, C, Reed, A & Wake, N Consent (Cambridge Scholars Press 2016)
- Livings, B ‘Organising an Academic Legal Conference’ in Ashford, C & Guth, J The Legal Academic’s Handbook (Palgrave 2016)
- Livings, B & E Smith ‘Joint Enterprise and Complicity in Crime’ in A Reed & M Bohlander Participation in Crime: Domestic, Comparative and International Perspectives (Ashgate, 2013).
- Livings, B ‘Violence without Motive: Cultural Contingency and Conceptions of Mens Rea’ in Sarma, K & Livings, B (eds) Evil and the State: Inter-Disciplinary Perspectives (Inter-Disciplinary Press 2013)
- Livings, B ‘A Right to Kill’ in King, S et al (eds) Law, Morality and Power: Global Perspectives on Violence and the State (Inter-Disciplinary Press, 2010)
- Livings, B ‘Is it Right to Disregard “Motive” in the Criminal Law?’ in Dam, S & Hall, J Inside and Outside of the Law (Inter-Disciplinary Press, 2009)
- Livings, B ‘A New Partial Defence for the Mercy Killer’ (2014) 65 Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly 187-204.
- Livings, B & Wake, N ‘Editorial’ (2014) 65 Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly 137-40.
- Livings, B ‘Autonomy, Consent and the Criminalisation of Assisted Dying’ (2012) 11(4) Contemporary Issues in Law 302-321.
- Livings, B ‘Film as a Legal Pedagogical Tool’  3 Web Journal of Current Legal Issues.
- Livings, B ‘A Right to Assist? Assisted Dying and the Interim Policy’ (2010) 74 Journal of Criminal Law 31-52.
- Livings, B ‘A Different Ball-game – Why the Nature of Consent in Contact Sports Undermines a Unitary Approach’ (2007) 70 Journal of Criminal Law 534-66.
- Livings, B ‘“Legitimate Sport” or Criminal Assault? What Are the Roles of the Rules and the Rulemakers in Determining Criminal Liability for Violence on the Sports Field?’ (2006) 69 Journal of Criminal Law 495-508.
- Society of Legal Scholars
- Socio-Legal Studies Association
- Association of Law Teachers
- Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand