Dr Steve Barwick
Principal Research Scientist - Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit (AGBU)
Phone: +61 2 6773 3481
Steve leads AGBU R & D in breeding objectives and selection indexes for beef cattle. A key development of his work is the BreedObject technology, which focusses BREEDPLAN genetic evaluation on selection. In addition to influencing developments in other species, applications of the technology extend across all major beef breeds and internationally.
Steve's interests encompass the genetics of each of the major trait areas of animal production. His early career included research in meat science and sheep breeding. In addition to his own research, he has had important design responsibilities for major industry programs including for the Cooperative Research Centre for Beef Genetic Technologies, and from 2007 to 2009 was also Associate Editor (Animal Genetics) of Journal of Animal Science for the American Society of Animal Science.
- PhD (Ohio State)
- MScAg (UNE Armidale)
- BScAgr (Hons) (Sydney)
Steve leads the R&D in breeding objectives and selection indexes for beef cattle. A key development of his work is the BreedObject technology. His main research intersects the following:
- Breeding objectives and multiple trait selection
- Genetics and environment interrelationships
- Selection for non-additive merit
- Genetic and phenotypic prediction
- Economics in animal breeding
- Experiment design and analysis
- A key development of his work is the BreedObject technology.
- Selection to reduce methane while improving productivity
- Selection to improve feed efficiency jointly with other traits
- Individual animal-level assessment of trait importance
- Environment-level effects on genetic parameters
- Incorporating DNA markers in multiple trait selection
- Accuracies for multiple-trait selection indexes
- BreedObject software system development
- Genetics of tropically adapted and 50% tropically adapted cattle
- Genetics of maternal traits
Conference, Workshop and Seminar Papers - Refereed
Walmsley, B J; Wolcott, M L Pitchford, W S; Johnston, D J and Barwick, S A (2015). “Extended cow weight modelling for beef cattle breeding objectives.” Submitted to Proc. Assoc. Advmt. Anim. Breed. Genet.
Journal Articles - Refereed
Pitchford, W; Accioly, J; Banks, R G; Barnes, A; Barwick, S; Copping, K; Deland, M; Donoghue, K; Edwards, N; Hebart, M; Herd, R; Jones, F; Laurence, M; Lee, S; McKiernan, W; Parnell, P; Speijers, S; Tudor, G and Graham, J (2015). “Genesis, design and methods of the Beef CRC Maternal Productivity Project.” Animal Production Science (accepted).