Making the most of meetings
One of the first things you want to establish with your supervisor is when you'll meet, how often and for how long. Try to find times that you're both alert and not likely to be distracted by other demands.
Think about how you can get the most from each meeting. To start on the right foot and ensure you make a good impression:
- Turn off your mobile phone during all meetings and conversations
- Arrive for appointments and meetings in good time
- Arrive prepared with all necessary documents and evidence of work or progress
- Give some thought to the purpose of the meeting, your objectives and any necessary decisions
- Engage in general conversation as appropriate, but keep the focus on the work and the tasks at hand - remember, time is limited
- Prepare an agenda for your next meeting. Include a discussion about meeting etiquette and expections.