Supervision Agreement Between Students and Supervisors
Research Supervision Agreements between research supervisors and research students are a mandatory requirement of the University Research Committee. All HDR candidates should complete a supervision agreement within the first four weeks of beginning their research.
To ensure all HDR candidates have supervision agreements, the Confirmation of Candidature Procedure requires all HDR candidates to have submitted a supervision agreement before the University will confirm their candidature.
The Research Supervision Agreement can be found in the 'Getting Started' section of the HDR Forms and Policies webpage.
What is a Supervision Agreement?
Candidates and Supervisors should discuss the way they intend to conduct their research partnership and the expectations each party has about the project, resources and each other, and record the decisions they make about these things in the Agreement. Topics included in the supervision agreement include:
- Induction requirements - facilities available in the School, office space and computer resources, introduction to key School staff, OHS and safety training, library access, relevant contact details for key staff
- Confirmation of candidature - what is required, the timing of the panel, where to find information and University policies, a timeline for preparation
- Meetings and Contact - how often the supervision team will meet, what the expectations are, who organises them, who initiates contact and when, who records decisions or circulates meeting notes
- The role and responsibilities of Supervisors and HDR Candidates - supervision and communication style, expectations, role of Principal Supervisor and Co-Supervisors, how to manage changes and conflicts
- Project planning and milestones - what is the project plan, what are the key milestones, requirements of HDR Progress Reporting, what measures are to be taken if milestones are not met
- Publications, Intellectual Property and Plagiarism
- Ethics Approval
- Presentation opportunities
- Anything else which is relevant to the conduct of the project
The supervision agreement should be reviewed regularly and amended as things change.