HDR Scholarship Selection Guidelines for Grant Holders
This process should be used to select PhD or Research Masters candidates funded by external research grants. It can be used by any a research grant-holder who needs to advertise and select for a scholarship.
The grant-holder shall advise the HDR Support Officer (Scholarships) in Research Services that they wish to advertise a scholarship. The grant holder should provide:
- The wording for the advertisement
- The terms and conditions of the Scholarship
- Any relevant web links (to the research project or researcher webpages)
- Time frame for advertising i.e. opening and closing dates (must be advertised for a minimum of three weeks)
- Time frames for commencement of candidature
- Whether the scholarship is for domestic and/or international students
- Contact details of a relevant person to provide information to candidate
- Any additional information that may be required from candidates, not included in the standard UNE application forms
Research Services will then advertise the scholarship on the University webpage. The advertisement link will be sent to the grant-holder. We encourage grant-holders to circulate the link among their networks.
Scholarship applications will be submitted directly to Research Services through the AskUNE Portal. Candidates will also be required to submit a candidature application form and supporting documents to be assessed by the School in conjunction with the scholarship application.
Once the closing date has passed, the HDR Support Officer will provide electronic copies as well as an overview of all applications received to the chair of the selection panel.
The grant-holder, or nominee, will organize a panel of suitably qualified UNE staff to assess the applications for the scholarship. The grant-holder, or their nominee, will chair the panel, and will be responsible for ensuring that a record is kept of the selection process that is in keeping with the University’s record keeping standards.
The Chair of the panel is responsible for ensuring that the process by which candidates are selected is fair and non-discriminatory.
The Panel should be gender balanced and consist of the following:
- The grant holder or their nominee
- Higher Degree Research Coordinator
- An additional UNE employee, preferably a content expert
Once the selection process is complete, the Chair will notify the HDR Scholarship Support Officer of the complete list of outcomes of the selection, including the successful and unsuccessful candidates. In the case of the unsuccessful candidates the Chair must provide a summary of the reasons the application was not successful.
Once the HDR Support Officer has been notified, they will issue the relevant letters to notify the successful and unsuccessful candidates. Please note, a successful scholarship offer will not be issued to a student until they have received an offer of admission.
Once the successful candidate has accepted the terms and conditions of the scholarship and notified Research Services in writing that they intend to take up the scholarship, the HDR Support Officer will notify the grant-holder of the nominated start date.
The grant-holder will be responsible for notifying the relevant staff in Research Services of any changes to the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
The grant-holder should also provide the scholarship cost code to the HDR Support Officer prior to the student commencing the scholarship.