Academic Supervisors

This information is designed to assist academic staff in their role as supervisors of Higher Degree Research students.

Graduate Research Subcommittee

The Graduate Research Subcommittee (GRS) is responsible for all matters relating to postgraduate research candidature and degrees. This Committee considers matters such as admission to degrees, candidature management, appointment of examiners, thesis examination and degree completion and graduation. All Schools are represented on the GRS by the School HDR Coordinator.

The GRS is a subcommittee of the University Research Committee. See the committee's Terms of Reference.

Register of Supervisors

All supervisors of higher degree research students must be listed on the Register in order to be appointed as either a Principal or Co-Supervisor.

External Supervisors

At UNE all Principal Supervisors must be members of UNE academic staff. Schools wishing to appoint external co-supervisors will need to get the approval of the Head of School and email this to Research Services with a completed Register of Supervisors Application form.

Research Supervisor Training

UNE provides two types of Research Supervisor Training: Supervisor Accreditation Training and Research Supervisor Training.

Supervising Indigenous Graduate Researchers

The Lowitja Institute has a very good guide called Supporting Indigenous Researchers: a practical guide for supervisors and is available as a pdf.

Confirmation of Candidature

Confirmation of Candidature is the most significant milestone in the first year of your Doctoral Candidature. It's purpose is to determine whether or not the Doctoral research project indicates a strong likelihood to result in a high quality thesis and/or by completed in the required time.

HDR Progress Reporting

Higher Degree Research students who are enrolled in the research component of their course, are required to complete an academic progress report each 6 months. More information can be found on the Progress Report webpage.

HDR Scholarships

The University has a number of HDR Scholarships available for Higher Degree Research Students. You may wish to direct your students to these opportunities.

HDR Resources and Advice Portal

The University has a resources portal for HDR students and their supervisors called Higher Degree Research Resources and Advice Portal — or HDR RAP for short. The portal is in Moodle and all HDR students and their supervisors are automatically enrolled in the site. For further information, please visit the HDR RAP Webpage.

UNE Student Services

Other services available to support students include the following:

HDR Forms for Supervisors and Schools

All HDR Forms and Policies can be found on the HDR Forms and Policies Webpage.

For more information, please Contact HDR.