Sydney ResBaz 2019
ResBaz is an international event run by volunteers, it is an intensive festival and conference where researchers come together to up-skill in next generation digital research tools and scholarship. The aim of this event is to equip you, the researcher - in particular higher degree and early career researchers - with digital skills to do your research more effectively and efficiently. Central to every ResBaz is a collaborative, non-formal environment in which skills in data science, project management, and computer programming are taught.
The first Research Bazaar was held in 2015 at the University of Melbourne. It was so successful that it has inspired similar events in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, and internationally. In Sydney 2017, the first year the event was open to participants from all NSW universities, the event attracted over 600 registrations and approximately 320 attendees.
This year’s Sydney event, will be hosted by University of New South Wales from 10 – 12 September 2019, with an optional High performance computing day on the 13th. This year, ResBaz Sydney will have three parts:
- Talks related to Open Research practices
- Lightning talks and a poster session
- An introduction to the Carpentries, and to the carpentries style of learning data and programming skills
- Hacky hours and other groups
- A relaxation and mindfulness space
- Booths and fun research-related activities
- Social activities and many chances to network
Training workshops (limited spaces available)
- Programming/computing skills: 3 day workshops on Python or R skills, including a day on Git and Unix (Bash) or SQL
- The Humanities and Technology Camp (THATCamp)
- Dedicated stream of data skills workshops for librarians and research support
- GIS in R
- Data Visualisation in R
- Data Visualisation in Python
- RedCap Intro Topics
- Comparing languages: what should I learn (R, Python, Matlab and Julia)
- RedCap Advanced
- Regular Expressions
A compute day on the Friday.
- Access to NCI and Pawsey Super Compute
- Commercial Cloud Platforms
- Katana (for UNSW researchers)
- Intro to Linux and HPC
- plus more to come...
The exact schedule may change depending on demand and other factors. A detailed schedule will be released closer to the event.
More information can be found here: https://resbaz.github.io/resbaz2019/sydney/
What you will get from the experience
- Skills in using a particular tool or tools for research, depending on which class you choose
- The fun of learning in a collaborative, peer-to-peer environment
- Opportunities to discuss your research and any challenges you might be facing with data specialists
- Another thing to add to your resumé
Terms and Conditions
- Scholarship selection is based on academic merit and successful applicants will normally have achieved excellence in their academic records
- Students are expected to travel to Sydney by mini-bus.
- Applicants will not normally be awarded more than one ResBaz Travel Scholarship during their period of candidature
How To Apply
Please complete our online form.
Applications Close: Wednesday 24th July 2019