Frequently Asked Questions – Visiting Research Students

About Visiting Research Student appointments

Who can be a Visiting Research Student at UNE?

In general, Visiting Research Students must meet one or more of the following requirements:

  • Be a student or recent graduate of a foreign educational institution.
  • Be invited to undertake research at an Australian tertiary or research institution that is related to your field of study.
  • Current students must be undertaking the research in order to meet course requirements for their overseas qualification.

The research undertaken will contribute to an Australian research project.

How do I become a Visiting Research Student at UNE?

Refer to Visiting Academics (Research) and Visiting Research Students for full detail. The UNE Academic contact should complete the forms and templates listed here in conjunction with the appropriate
School administrative staff.

How long can a Visiting Research Student Appointment be for at UNE?

No longer than twelve months.

Nomination and appointment

When should I approach the School to discuss the possibility of my visit?

You should contact the School as soon as you know the date you wish to come to Australia. Since your visa may take up to eight (8) weeks to be processed, we advise you contact the School at least five (5) months in advance to allow for approval by the Head of School, processing, and visa approval.

What are the UNE Schools contact details?

Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit (AGBU) –

School of Arts –

School of Behavioural Cognitive & Social Sciences –

School of Environmental & Rural Science –

School of Science & Technology –

School of Humanities –

UNE Business School –

School of Education –

School of Health –

School of Law –

School of Rural Medicine –

How will I find out whether my application for a Visiting Research Student position has been approved?

A letter confirming invitation and sponsorship obligations and duty statement will be emailed to the address you provide on the application form, by Human Resource Services. This letter is a required attachment for your visa application and also contains terms and conditions for your signature.

What happens if my application is not approved by the School?

There is no right of appeal, and the application will go no further.

When should the School complete and submit my nomination paperwork to Human Resource Services?

The School should complete and submit the approved nomination paperwork to Human Resource Services no less than four months prior to the commencement of your visit. This allows time for processing and for your visa to be approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

How long will my paperwork take to process, after being sent to Human Resource Services?

Your paperwork will be processed within 10 business days from the date of receipt in Human Resource Services, from the School. Your confirmation of invitation letter and duty statement will be forwarded to you in this timeframe.

What do I do with the terms and conditions in the confirmation letter?

You will be required to sign the terms and conditions specific to your appointment and return to Human Resource Services, along with a copy of your passport for University records. This confirmation will be required when you apply for your Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) Research stream.

When do I make arrangements to come to Australia?

Please note you should not make arrangements to come to Armidale to take up this visiting appointment until such time as you have formally accepted this appointment and your visa requirements have been finalised.

Do you keep a copy of my paperwork?

Human Resource Services will keep a copy of your paperwork as an electronic document.

Can I cease my appointment early, if necessary?

Yes, Human Resource Services at UNE is able to cease the appointment early upon a request by the School where the appointment is held. If you wish to cease your appointment you should contact the appropriate School in the first instance. Once the School has advised Human Resource Services of your intention to cease your appointment early, Human Resource Services will then advise the Department of Home Affairs you have ceased your appointment early.

What are the University’s obligations to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

The University is obliged under our sponsorship agreement with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to inform them of any changes to the proposed arrangement between UNE (as the sponsor) and you (as the visa applicant). This includes if you do not arrive at UNE, alter your proposed dates, or cease your appointment earlier than proposed. It is very important that you advise Human Resource Services of any changes to your arrangements as soon as you become aware of them.

Visa information

What visa do I apply for?What visa do I apply for?

You will be applying for the Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) Research Student stream.

Can I apply for a Tourist Visa (Subclass 600)?

No. Visiting Students are required to apply for a Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408). The University has checked with the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol, and they have advised the Tourist Visa is not appropriate for the purpose of visit which involved conducting research and contributing to an Australian research project. The University are not permitted to accept visitors who come on a Tourist Visa (Subclass 600).

Do I need to complete any other templates before I can apply for a Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) Research Student stream?

Yes, you will need to get your current home institution to complete the Letter from Home Institution template and return it to Human Resource Services.

What form am I required to complete for the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

You will be required to complete the Acknowledgment of Unpaid Placement form -1283

What attachments do I need to submit with my visa application?
How long does it take for my visa to be processed?

Visa processing times vary. The Department of Immigration have advised it can take up to 8 weeks for your visa to be approved, however, they take arrival dates into consideration when processing applications. For the latest processing times, please refer to the Department of Immigration website.

What do I do when my Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) has been approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

Provide a copy of the Visa Grant Notice to Human Resource Services via You should also send a copy of this notice to your contact at UNE.

Staff access and facilities

How do I know what my UNE staff number is?

When your visa has been confirmed, and you have notified Human Resource Services of your arrival, an email will be sent to you providing your UNE staff number.

How do I get access to my email?

The School will supply you with a New IT Account Registration Request for staff form – this form needs to be completed and taken to the IT Service Desk on Level 2, Entry Level of Dixon Library (C31), or submitted via This will give you online access and a @une email address. If you have any queries, please contact IT Service Desk - +61 (2) 6772 5000 or email.

What facilities will I have access to in a Visiting Research Student position?

This is dependent upon the resources of the School who has nominated you. Heads of School will ensure that access to UNE facilities is provided at their discretion. The facilities which you have access to will be stated in your confirmation of invitation letter. If you have certain expectations and requirements for your role, you must discuss this with the School directly to come to an appropriate arrangement.