Can I apply for a Tourist Visa (Subclass 600)?

No. Visiting Academics are required to apply for a Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408).  The University has checked with the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol, and they have advised the Tourist Visa is not appropriate for the purpose of visit which involved conducting research and contributing to an Australian research project. The University are not permitted to accept visitors who come on a Tourist Visa (Subclass 600).