Frequently Asked Questions - Visiting Academics (Research)

About Visiting Academics

Who can be a Visiting Academic at UNE?
  • Individuals of distinction and/or international standing to become associated with the research, scholarship or teaching within a UNE School/Centre;
  • Individuals who have practiced a profession with distinction or have had particular success in consulting, professional practice, business or community leadership to provide strategic value to the University; and/or
  • Individuals whose appointment will bring valuable reputation, relationship and technical resources to the University to aid its research and teaching endeavours.
  • Individuals who are associated with another institution who are invited to visit the University of New England to observe or participate in an Australian research project.
How do I become a Visiting Academic at UNE?

Refer to Visiting Academics (Research) and Visiting Research Students for full detail.

The UNE Academic contact should complete the form and templates listed here in conjunction with the appropriate School administrative staff.

How long can a Visiting Appointment be for at UNE?

No longer than twelve months. Any Visiting Academic (Research) requesting to stay longer than twelve months will require the approval of the UNE Vice-Chancellor.

Nomination and appointment process

When should I approach the School to discuss the possibility of my visit?

You should contact the School as soon as you know the date you wish to come to Australia. Since your visa may take up to eight (8) weeks to be processed, we advise you contact the School at least five (5) months in advance to allow for approval by the Head of School, processing and visa approval.

How will I find out whether my application for a Visiting Academic position has been approved at University level?

A letter confirming invitation and sponsorship obligations and a duty statement will be emailed to the address you provide on the application form, by Human Resource Services. This letter is a required attachment for your visa application and also contains terms and conditions for your signature.

What happens if my nomination is not approved by the School?

There is no right of appeal, and the application will go no further.

When should the School complete and submit my nomination paperwork to Human Resource Services?

The School should complete and submit the approved nomination paperwork to Human Resource Services no less than four months prior to the commencement of your visit. This allows time for processing and for your visa to be approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

When will my appointment at UNE be finalised?

Your appointment will be finalised and you will receive a confirmation email when you have provided your visa grant notice to Human Resource Services and your UNE Academic Contact.

When do I make arrangements to come to Australia?

Please note you should not make arrangements to come to Armidale to take up this visiting appointment until such time as you have formally accepted this appointment and your visa requirements have been finalised.

Do you keep a copy of my paperwork?

Human Resource Services will keep a copy of your paperwork as an electronic document.

Can I cease my appointment early, if necessary?

Yes, Human Resource Services at UNE is able to cease the appointment early upon a request by the School where the appointment is held. If you wish to cease your appointment you should contact the appropriate School in the first instance. Once the School has advised Human Resource Services of your intention to cease your appointment early, Human Resource Services will then advise the Department of Home Affairs you have ceased your appointment early.

What are the University’s obligations to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

The University is obliged under our sponsorship agreement with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to inform them of any changes to the proposed arrangement between UNE (as the sponsor) and you (as the visa applicant). This includes if you do not arrive at UNE, alter your proposed dates, or cease your appointment earlier than proposed. It is very important that you advise Human Resource Services of any changes to your arrangements as soon as you become aware of them.

Visa information

What visa do I apply for?

If you are going to collaborate on Australian-led research, Human Resource Services will issue you with an invitation and you will apply for a   style="border: 0px">Temporary Activity Visa (subclass 408).

If you are going to attend a Conference or Seminar only there is no need to contact Human Resource Services. You will apply for a Visitor Visa (subclass 600, 601 or 651),
and will need to provide evidence of Conference/Seminar registration when submitting your application.

What attachments do I need to submit with the Application for a Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) Research Stream?
How long does it take for my visa to be processed?

Visa processing times vary. The Department of Immigration have advised it can take up to 8 weeks for your visa to be approved, however, they take arrival dates into consideration when processing applications. For the latest processing times, please refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

What do I do when my Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408) has been approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection?

Provide the Visa Grant Notice to Human Resource Services via You should also send a copy of this notice to your contact at UNE.

Staff access and facilities

How do I know what my UNE staff number is?

When your visa has been confirmed, and you have notified Human Resource Services of your arrival, an email will be sent to you providing your UNE staff number.

How do I get access to my email?

The School will supply you with a New IT Account Registration Request for staff form – this form needs to be completed and taken to the IT Service Desk on Level 2, Entry Level of Dixon Library (C31), or submitted via This will give you online access and a @une email address. If you have any queries, please contact IT Service Desk - +61 (2) 6772 5000 or email.

What facilities will I have access to in a Visiting Academic (Research) position?

This is dependent upon the resources of the School who has nominated you. Heads of School will ensure that access to UNE facilities is provided at their discretion. The facilities which you have access to will be stated in your confirmation of invitation letter. If you have certain expectations and requirements for your role, please discuss this prior to your arrival.