54 Termination of Employment
- Academic and ELC Teaching Staff Collective Agreement 2014–2017
- All decisions to terminate employment will only occur in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
- Within the first six months of employment, the University may terminate the employment of a non-probationary academic for obvious and substantial, or obvious and repeated, and demonstrated unsuitability for the position.
- Except as otherwise provided for elsewhere in this Agreement, the employee must be given the following minimum period of notice or payment in lieu as follows:
- In addition to this period of notice, employees who are over 45 years of age at the time notice is given and who have at least two (2) years’ continuous service with the University will receive an additional one (1) week of notice.
- The period of notice, or payment in lieu thereof, in this clause will not apply where employment is terminated as a consequence of serious misconduct such that it would be unreasonable to require the University to continue employment during a period of notice.
- The University may terminate the employment of casual employees on the giving of one (1) hours’ notice.
Notice upon Termination
Period of continuous service
Period of notice
Up to the completion of 3 years
More than 3 years and up to the completion of 5 years
More than 5 years and over