21 Casual Employment
- Academic and ELC Teaching Staff Collective Agreement 2014–2017
- “Casual employment” will mean a person engaged by the hour and paid on an hourly basis.
- The rates of pay for casual employees and the manner in which they are to be applied (including rates in respect of all marking that is not contemporaneous within a lecture,tutorial or other teaching session), are specified in Schedule 2. These rates include a 25% loading in lieu of all forms of paid leave, paid public holidays, notice of termination of employment and severance benefits.
- Casual staff will be paid for all duties performed and all hours worked as directed by their supervisor, including marking.
- Supervisors will encourage casual staff who have casual employment for a whole teaching period to attend appropriate meetings of their work units. Attendance at all relevant meetings will be properly remunerated in accordance with the casual rates provided for Other Required Academic Activity.
- Casual academics:
- shall not be responsible for the employment or supervision (in terms of performance management or discipline) of other staff; and
- should not have primary responsibility for the development of teaching and learning materials.
- Casual employees who obtain continuing employment with the University immediately after a casual appointment (that is within 4 weeks of the last paid casual service and excluding casual appointments solely to perform marking) at the same academic level as their casual work shall be appointed at no less than the relevant increment step immediately prior to appointment, as long as they have performed 12 months paid service at that particular incremental step.
- Casual employees will be entitled at the workplace to access a telephone, computer and email, a work desk and a library card. Where the employee is expected to be employed for at least fifty per cent (50%) of a full-time teaching load over a semester, trimester or calendar year, a work station, including the abovementioned facilities, will be provided for the employee’s exclusive use. [N.B. This clause is not applicable to those employed on an occasional, ad hoc or intermittent basis.]
- If there is a reasonable expectation expressed by the Head of School that a casual employee, as set out above, will gain a further casual employment contract in the following semester, trimester or calendar year, he or she will be entitled to retain access to a telephone, computer and email, a work desk and a library card for the period between contracts.
- Casual employees will be eligible to apply for internally advertised University positions.
- A Head of Cost Centre may approve, subject to available resources, a casual employee participating in career development activities if the Head of Cost Centre considers a particular programme will be of benefit to the University. Such casual employee shall be paid at the Other Required Academic Activity casual rate of pay or English Language Teacher Rate 2 while participating in such career development activities.
- The University and the NTEU recognise that casual employment is not an appropriate employment mode in all circumstances and is not a substitute for fixed term or continuing employment. The University will therefore not use casual employment in circumstances which require significant numbers of hours per week for the conduct of long term regular and systematic work.
- Where the University has a new or vacant academic position at Level A or B and there are existing casual academic employees within the School or Directorate, advertising of the position will be limited in the first instance. Such positions will be advertised as an Expression of Interest, open only to existing casual academic employees or employees who have been employed casually within the previous 12 month period. Normal merit selection processes will apply and a successful candidate must meet all of the advertised essential selection criteria. Where an appointment is not made following this process, the position may then be advertised more broadly.
- Notwithstanding the above, where it can be demonstrated that a suitable field of casual employees is not available within the School or Directorate, the external advertising of a new or vacant position may occur immediately.
Enhancing Casual Academic Appointment Opportunities