13 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment
- Academic and ELC Teaching Staff Collective Agreement 2014–2017
- The University is committed to encouraging, fostering and realising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment and having an active role in implementing the aims of the National Indigenous Higher Education Workforce Strategy. During the life of this agreement the University will implement the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy 2013-2018, with the aims of the strategy being to increase the number and dispersion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff within the University to working age population parity.
- In addition to the employment strategy, the University will continue to:
- Recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural practices and identity;
- Ensure policies and procedures support the elimination of racism in the workplace, and make the institution culturally responsive and responsible;
- Provide staff development, training and mentoring of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees;
- Provide for training on the implementation of employment strategies and cultural diversity programs for managers and staff;
- Maintain effective links with relevant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and agencies.
- The Committee established to oversee the implementation of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy 2013-2018 will comprise Union (NTEU) representation.
- Where practicable, recruitment panels for positions within the Oorala Aboriginal Centre and Identified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander positions will comprise at least 50% Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander membership, including the Aboriginal Employment Officer or their representative.
- An employee who is required to substantially use an Indigenous language in the course of their employment (with a recognised proficiency in any one of the Aboriginal or Torres Strait languages) will be paid an allowance as set out in Schedule 4A.
Indigenous Language Allowance